Generic Name and Formulations:
Alfuzosin (as HCl) 10mg; ext-rel tabs.
Covis Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for UROXATRAL:
Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH).
Limitations Of use:
Not for use in children or for the treatment of hypertension.
Swallow whole. Take immediately after same meal each day. 10mg once daily.
Concomitant potent CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, itraconazole, ritonavir). Moderate or severe hepatic insufficiency.
Not for use in women. Discontinue if angina develops or worsens. Severe renal insufficiency (CrCl <30mL/min). Hypotension. Mild hepatic impairment. History of QT interval prolongation. Exclude prostate cancer prior to initiation. Cataract surgery (intraoperative floppy iris syndrome possible). Pregnancy (Cat.B).
See Contraindications. Do not use with other α-blockers. Increased hypotension with concomitant nitrates, PDE5 inhibitors, other antihypertensives. Potentiates and is potentiated by cimetidine. Potentiates cardiovascular effects of atenolol. Caution with drugs that prolong QT interval.
Dizziness, upper respiratory tract infection, headache, fatigue; postural hypotension, syncope; rare: priapism.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age