Generic Name and Formulations:
Potassium citrate 5mEq (540mg), 10mEq (1080mg), 15mEq (1620mg); tabs.
Mission Pharmacal Company
Indications for UROCIT-K:
Renal tubular acidosis with calcium stones. Hypocitraturic calcium oxalate nephrolithiasis. Uric acid lithiasis.
Take within 30 minutes of meals or bedtime snack. Adjust based on urinary citrate levels and/or pH. Urinary citrate <150mg/day: 30mEq twice daily or 20mEq 3 times daily. Urinary citrate >150mEq/day: 15mEq twice daily or 10mEq 3 times daily. Max 100mEq/day.
See literature. Hyperkalemia or predisposing conditions. GI narrowing or stricture, delayed gastric emptying or predisposing conditions. Peptic ulcer disease. UTI. Renal insufficiency (GFR <0.7mL/kg per minute).
Restrict salt intake and encourage high fluid intake. Discontinue if severe vomiting, GI pain or bleeding occurs and follow-up. Monitor 24 hour urinary citrate, urinary pH, serum electrolytes, CBC, ECG, at least every 4 months; discontinue if hyperkalemia, significant rise in serum creatinine, or significant fall in hematocrit or hemoglobin occurs. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Contraindicated with potassium-sparing diuretics, anticholinergics, other drugs that slow GI motility. Monitor digoxin. May interfere with some urinary tract antibiotics. Caution with drugs that raise serum potassium.
Hyperkalemia, GI upset, irritation, bleeding.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder