Generic Name and Formulations:
Potassium citrate 5mEq (540mg), 10mEq (1080mg), 15mEq (1620mg); tabs.
Mission Pharmacal Company
Indications for UROCIT-K:
Renal tubular acidosis with calcium stones. Hypocitraturic calcium oxalate nephrolithiasis. Uric acid lithiasis.
Take within 30 minutes of meals or bedtime snack. Adjust based on urinary citrate levels and/or pH. Urinary citrate <150mg/day: 30mEq twice daily or 20mEq 3 times daily. Urinary citrate >150mEq/day: 15mEq twice daily or 10mEq 3 times daily. Max 100mEq/day.
See literature. Hyperkalemia or predisposing conditions. GI narrowing or stricture, delayed gastric emptying or predisposing conditions. Peptic ulcer disease. UTI. Renal insufficiency (GFR <0.7mL/kg per minute).
Restrict salt intake and encourage high fluid intake. Discontinue if severe vomiting, GI pain or bleeding occurs and follow-up. Monitor 24 hour urinary citrate, urinary pH, serum electrolytes, CBC, ECG, at least every 4 months; discontinue if hyperkalemia, significant rise in serum creatinine, or significant fall in hematocrit or hemoglobin occurs. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Contraindicated with potassium-sparing diuretics, anticholinergics, other drugs that slow GI motility. Monitor digoxin. May interfere with some urinary tract antibiotics. Caution with drugs that raise serum potassium.
Hyperkalemia, GI upset, irritation, bleeding.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders