Generic Name and Formulations:
Ampicillin sodium 1g, sulbactam sodium 0.5g (1.5g vial); or ampicillin sodium 2g, sulbactam sodium 1g (3g vial); IM or IV inj; sodium content 5mEq/g of ampicillin.
Indications for UNASYN:
Susceptible skin and skin structure, intraabdominal, gynecologic infections.
Dose is given as ampicillin + sulbactam. Normal renal function (CrCl ≥30mL/min): 1.5–3g IM or IV every 6hrs; CrCl 15–29mL/min: 1.5–3g every 12hrs; CrCl 5–14mL/min: 1.5–3g every 24hrs.
Intraabdominal infections: not recommended. Dose is given as ampicillin + sulbactam. <1yr: not recommended. ≥1yr (<40kg): 300mg/kg per day IV in equally divided doses every 6hrs; usual max 14 days. ≥40kg: as adult.
Previous history of cholestatic jaundice/hepatic dysfunction. Penicillin, cephalosporin, or other β-lactam allergy.
Mononucleosis: not recommended. Discontinue if superinfection occurs or skin lesions progress. Hepatic impairment (monitor). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Potentiated by probenecid. Increased incidence of rash with allopurinol. May cause false (+) Clinitest, Benedict's or Fehling's soln.
Broad-spectrum penicillin + β-lactamase inhibitor.
Inj site reactions, diarrhea, rash, blood dyscrasias, anaphylaxis, elevated liver enzymes; C. difficile-associated diarrhea (evaluate if occurs), severe skin reactions (eg, SJS, TEN, dermatitis exfoliative, erythema multiforme, AGEP).
Vials (1.5g, 3g)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders