Generic Name and Formulations:
Ampicillin sodium 1g, sulbactam sodium 0.5g (1.5g vial); or ampicillin sodium 2g, sulbactam sodium 1g (3g vial); IM or IV inj; sodium content 5mEq/g of ampicillin.
Indications for UNASYN:
Susceptible skin and skin structure, intraabdominal, gynecologic infections.
Dose is given as ampicillin + sulbactam. Normal renal function (CrCl ≥30mL/min): 1.5–3g IM or IV every 6hrs; CrCl 15–29mL/min: 1.5–3g every 12hrs; CrCl 5–14mL/min: 1.5–3g every 24hrs.
Intraabdominal infections: not established. Dose is given as ampicillin + sulbactam. <1yr: not established. ≥1yr (<40kg): 300mg/kg per day IV in equally divided doses every 6hrs; usual max 14 days. ≥40kg: as adult.
History of cholestatic jaundice/hepatic dysfunction due to Unasyn. Penicillin, cephalosporin, or other β-lactam allergy.
Mononucleosis: not recommended. Discontinue if superinfection or hypersensitivity reactions occur, or if skin lesions progress. Hepatic impairment; monitor LFTs regularly. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Broad-spectrum penicillin + β-lactamase inhibitor.
Potentiated by probenecid. Increased incidence of rash with allopurinol. May cause false (+) Clinitest, Benedict's or Fehling's soln.
Inj site reactions, diarrhea, rash, blood dyscrasias; C. difficile-associated diarrhea (evaluate if occurs), hypersensitivity or severe skin reactions (eg, SJS, TEN, dermatitis exfoliative, erythema multiforme, AGEP), hepatotoxicity.
Vials (1.5g, 3g)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Lithium Monotherapy Effective in Treating Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Increasing Among US Children and Adolescents
- Cost-Effective Telehealth Alternatives for Veterans With Depression
- Polygenic Risk Scores Could Aid in Identifying Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses