Generic Name and Formulations:
Ampicillin sodium 1g, sulbactam sodium 0.5g (1.5g vial); or ampicillin sodium 2g, sulbactam sodium 1g (3g vial); IM or IV inj; sodium content 5mEq/g of ampicillin.
Indications for UNASYN:
Susceptible skin and skin structure, intraabdominal, gynecologic infections.
Dose is given as ampicillin + sulbactam. Normal renal function (CrCl ≥30mL/min): 1.5–3g IM or IV every 6hrs; CrCl 15–29mL/min: 1.5–3g every 12hrs; CrCl 5–14mL/min: 1.5–3g every 24hrs.
Intraabdominal infections: not recommended. Dose is given as ampicillin + sulbactam. <1yr: not recommended. ≥1yr (<40kg): 300mg/kg per day IV in equally divided doses every 6hrs; usual max 14 days. ≥40kg: as adult.
Previous history of cholestatic jaundice/hepatic dysfunction. Penicillin, cephalosporin, or other β-lactam allergy.
Mononucleosis: not recommended. Discontinue if superinfection occurs or skin lesions progress. Hepatic impairment (monitor). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Potentiated by probenecid. Increased incidence of rash with allopurinol. May cause false (+) Clinitest, Benedict's or Fehling's soln.
Broad-spectrum penicillin + β-lactamase inhibitor.
Inj site reactions, diarrhea, rash, blood dyscrasias, anaphylaxis, elevated liver enzymes; C. difficile-associated diarrhea (evaluate if occurs), severe skin reactions (eg, SJS, TEN, dermatitis exfoliative, erythema multiforme, AGEP).
Vials (1.5g, 3g)—1
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Enhanced Vaccination Effectiveness in Older Adults Linked to Positive Mood
- Subjective Cognitive Decline Linked to Alzheimer Biomarker
- Unnecessary Costs Associated With Low-Cost, Low-Value Health Services
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?