Generic Name and Formulations:
Sevoflurane; volatile liq for inhalation.
Indications for ULTANE:
Induction and maintenance of general anesthesia for surgery.
Adults and Children:
Use sevoflurane calibrated vaporizer. Individualize. Surgical maintenance: usually 0.5–3% sevoflurane with or without nitrous oxide. May be administered with any type of anesthesia circuit. See full labeling for minimum alveolar concentration (MAC) values based on age.
Susceptibility to malignant hyperthermia. Sensitivity to halogenated agents.
To be administered only by those experienced in general anesthesia. Have intubation, artificial ventilation, oxygen and circulatory resuscitation available. Sevoflurane exposure >2 MAC hours at flow rates 1 to <2L/min and fresh gas flow rates <1L/min: not recommended. Renal insufficiency. Severe hepatic impairment. Monitor BP, hepatic and renal function, urine flow during treatment. Neuromuscular disease (eg, Duchenne muscular dystrophy). Susceptible to congenital long QT syndrome. Dessicated CO2 absorbents. Pediatric neurotoxicity risk with repeated or prolonged use. Elderly. Premature infants. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.B).
Concomitant KOH containing CO2 absorbents: not recommended. Hyperkalemia with succinylcholine. Potentiated by benzodiazepines, opioids, nitrous oxide. Potentiates neuromuscular blockers (eg, pancuronium, vecuronium, atracurium). Caution with concomitant drugs that prolong the QT interval.
Nausea, vomiting, agitation, somnolence, dizziness, increased salivation, tachycardia, bradycardia, hypotension, cough increased, laryngospasm, airway obstruction, breath holding, shivering, apnea, hypertension; malignant hyperthermia, perioperative hyperkalemia, renal injury (eg, glycosuria and proteinuria); rare: seizures (esp. children), post-op hepatic dysfunction, torsades de pointes, transient elevations in glucose, LFTs, WBC count.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder