Generic Name and Formulations:
Febuxostat 40mg, 80mg; tabs.
Takeda Pharmaceuticals USA, Inc.
Indications for ULORIC:
Chronic management of hyperuricemia in patients with gout.
≥18yrs: initially 40mg once daily. Obtain target serum uric acid levels <6mg/dL after 2 weeks of initiating therapy; if not <6mg/dL, may increase to 80mg once daily. Gout flare prophylaxis, with an NSAID or colchicine, upon initiation of therapy and for up to 6 months, is recommended. Severe renal impairment: max 40mg once daily.
<18yrs: not established.
Concomitant azathioprine, mercaptopurine.
Not for treating asymptomatic hyperuricemia. Cardiovascular events: monitor for signs and symptoms of MI and stroke. Measure LFTs at baseline and if liver injury is suspected; interrupt therapy if ALT>3xULN and investigate cause. Do not restart if ALT>3xULN with serum total bilirubin >2xULN without alternative etiologies; for lesser elevations, use with caution. Severe hepatic impairment. Severe renal impairment (see Adult) or ESRD on dialysis. Secondary hyperuricemia (eg, Lesch-Nyhan syndrome, malignant disease, or in organ transplant recipients): not recommended. Discontinue if serious skin reactions are suspected (eg, DRESS, TEN). Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Potentiates xanthine oxidase substrate drugs (eg, theophylline).
Xanthine oxidase inhibitor.
Abnormal LFTs, nausea, arthralgia, rash; gout flares, hepatic failure.
Tabs 40mg—30, 90, 500; 80mg—30, 100, 1000
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Examining Rates of Long-term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed