Generic Name and Formulations:
Budesonide 9mg; extended-release tablets.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for UCERIS:
Induction of remission in patients with active, mild-to-moderate ulcerative colitis.
Swallow whole. 9mg once daily in the AM for up to 8 weeks.
Active or quiescent tuberculosis, untreated fungal, bacterial, systemic viral or parasitic infections. Supplement with systemic glucocorticosteroid in surgery or other stress situations. Caution when transferring from steroids with high systemic availability (monitor). May unmask allergies previously controlled by systemic corticosteroids. If exposed to chickenpox or measles, consider immune globulin or antiviral prophylactic therapies. Hypertension. Diabetes. Osteoporosis. Peptic ulcer. Glaucoma. Cataracts. Moderate-to-severe liver disease: monitor for hypercorticism; consider discontinuing. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
May be potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, itraconazole, ritonavir, indinavir, saquinavir, erythromycin); consider discontinuing. Avoid grapefruit or grapefruit juice. May be affected by gastric acid reducing agents (eg, PPIs, H2-blockers, antacids).
Headache, nausea, decreased blood cortisol, upper abdominal pain, fatigue, flatulence, abdominal distension, acne, urinary tract infection, arthralgia, constipation; hypercorticism, adrenal suppression, immunosuppression.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders