Generic Name and Formulations:
Treprostinil 0.6mg/mL; soln for oral inhalation using Tyvaso Inhalation System.
United Therapeutics Corp.
Indications for TYVASO:
Pulmonary arterial hypertension (WHO Group I) in patients with NYHA Class III symptoms, to improve exercise ability.
Give 4 separate treatment sessions each day approximately 4hrs apart, during waking hours. ≥18yrs: Initially 3 breaths (18mcg) per treatment session; if not tolerated, reduce to 1–2 breaths, and then subsequently increase to 3 breaths as tolerated. Maintenance: may increase by an additional 3 breaths at 1–2 week intervals, if tolerated, to target dose of 9 breaths (54mcg) per treatment session.
<18yrs: not established.
Significant underlying lung disease (eg, asthma, COPD). Acute pulmonary infections. Patients with low systemic arterial pressure. Hepatic or renal insufficiency. Risk of bleeding. Avoid contact with eyes and skin, oral ingestion. Elderly. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Increased risk of symptomatic hypotension with concomitant diuretics, antihypertensives, other vasodilators. May be potentiated by CYP2C8 inhibitor (eg, gemfibrozil). May be antagonized by CYP2C8 inducer (eg, rifampin). Increased risk of bleeding with anticoagulants.
Cough, headache, nausea, diarrhea, dizziness, flushing, throat irritation, pharyngolaryngeal pain, syncope; symptomatic hypotension, bleeding.
Ampules (2.9mL)—4; Starter Kit—1 (28 ampules with inhalation system); Refill Kit—1 (28 ampules with accessories)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders