Generic Name and Formulations:
Tigecycline 50mg/vial; lyophilized pwd for IV infusion after reconstitution and dilution; preservative-free.
Indications for TYGACIL:
Susceptible complicated skin and skin structure and intra-abdominal infections. Community-acquired bacterial pneumonia (CABP). Limitations of use: not for treating diabetic foot infection, hospital-acquired or ventilator-associated pneumonia.
≥18yrs: Give by IV infusion over 30–60 mins. 100mg once, then 50mg every 12hrs. Skin, skin structure, and intra-abdominal infections: treat for 5–14 days. CABP: treat for 7–14 days. Severe hepatic impairment (Child Pugh C): 100mg once, then 25mg every 12hrs.
<18yrs: not recommended. See full labeling for suggested dosages when no alternative antibacterial drugs are available.
Risk of increase in all-cause mortality; reserve for use when alternatives are not suitable. Monitor for hepatic dysfunction and pancreatitis; consider discontinuing if occurs. Ventilator-associated pneumonia. Complicated intra-abdominal infections secondary to intestinal perforation: avoid monotherapy (sepsis/septic shock may develop). Avoid during tooth development; may cause permanent discoloration of the teeth. Severe hepatic impairment. Pregnancy (Cat.D): not recommended. Nursing mothers.
Monitor warfarin. May antagonize oral contraceptives.
Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, headache, increased SGPT, inj site reactions, photosensitivity, pseudotumor cerebri; pancreatitis, superinfection, anaphylaxis, C. difficile-associated diarrhea (evaluate if occurs).
Single-use vials (5mL, 10mL)—10
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder