Generic Name and Formulations:
Arsenic trioxide 1mg/mL; soln for IV inj after dilution; preservative-free.
Indications for TRISENOX:
Induction of remission and consolidation in acute promyelocytic leukemia (APL) refractory to or relapsed from retinoid and anthracycline chemotherapy, and whose APL has the t(15;17) translocation or PML/RAR-alpha gene expression.
Give by IV infusion over 1–2 hours; may extend infusion up to 4 hours if acute vasomotor symptoms occur. Induction: 0.15mg/kg per day until bone marrow remission; max 60 doses. Consolidation treatment (begin 3–6 weeks after completion of induction therapy): 0.15mg/kg per day for 25 doses for up to 5 weeks.
See literature. <5yrs: not recommended. 5–16yrs: doses of 0.15mg/kg per day have been used.
Renal or hepatic dysfunction. History of torsades de pointes. Preexisting QT interval prolongation. CHF. Monitor hematology, renal function, and electrolytes at least twice weekly, perform ECG at baseline then weekly (hospitalize if cardiac irregularities develop); unstable patients: monitor more frequently. Correct electrolyte imbalances before starting therapy (maintain K+ above 4mEq/dL and Mg++ above 1.8mg/dL). Pregnancy: (Cat.D), nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with drugs that can cause QT prolongation (discontinue these before starting therapy, if possible) or electrolyte imbalances.
Leukocytosis, GI upset, fatigue, edema, hyperglycemia, cough, rash, headache, dizziness, paresthesia, arthralgia, renal failure, electrolyte disorders (eg,hypokalemia, hypomagnesemia), abnormal LFTs; APL differentiation syndrome (eg, fever, dyspnea, weight gain, pulmonary infiltrates, pericardial effusion; give high-dose IV steroids at 1st sign), hyperleukocytosis, QT interval prolongation/heart block, atrial dysrhythmias, tachycardia, others (see literature).
Single-use amps (10mL)—10
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder