Generic Name and Formulations:
Liothyronine (as sodium) 10mcg/mL; soln for IV inj.
Indications for TRIOSTAT:
Give with glucocorticoids. Allow 4–12 hours between doses. Initially 25–50mcg. Cardiovascular disease: initially 10–20mcg. Usual range: 65–100mcg daily. Change to oral therapy as soon as possible: start tabs at low dose and increase gradually; discontinue IV gradually.
Uncorrected adrenocortical insufficiency. Untreated thyrotoxicosis. Artificial rewarming.
Not for treatment of obesity. Cardiovascular disease, angina, elderly: initiate therapy at 10–20micrograms. Severe and prolonged hypothyroidism. Fluid therapy. Adrenocortical insufficiency. Pregnancy (Cat.A). Nursing mothers.
Potentiates digitalis toxicity, tricyclic antidepressants, sympathomimetics (e.g., anorectics). May increase risk of coronary insufficiency with vasopressors. Monitor oral anticoagulants, hypoglycemics. Estrogens affect thyroid function tests. May be potentiated by tricyclic antidepressants. Hypertension, tachycardia with ketamine.
Arrhythmia, tachycardia, cardiopulmonary arrest, hypotension, MI, angina, CHF, hypertension, twitching.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders