Trihexyphenidyl Elixir Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Trihexyphenidyl HCl 2mg/5mL; lime-mint flavor; contains alcohol.
Indications for Trihexyphenidyl Elixir:
Adjunct in Parkinsonism. Drug-induced extrapyramidal symptoms (EPS).
Take with food. Give in 3–4 divided doses. Parkinsonism: 1mg on day 1, may increase by 2mg every 3–5 days; usual max 6–15mg/day. Concomitant levodopa: 3–6mg/day and reduce levodopa dose. EPS: 1mg on day 1; range 5–15mg/day.
Tardive dyskinesia. Narrow-angle glaucoma.
Cardiovascular, renal, or hepatic disorders. Hypertension. Psychosis. GI or GU obstruction. Exposure to extreme heat. Monitor intraocular pressure. Avoid abrupt cessation. Nursing mothers.
Potentiates CNS depression with alcohol, CNS depressants. Antagonizes psychotropics. Additive anticholinergic effects with MAOIs. Paralytic ileus with phenothiazines, tricyclic antidepressants.
Anticholinergic and antihistaminic effects, confusion, anhidrosis, excitement, nausea, vomiting, angle-closure glaucoma, hallucinations, neuroleptic malignant syndrome, heat stroke, drowsiness.
Formerly known under the brand name Artane.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder