Generic Name and Formulations:
Ethionamide 250mg; tabs.
Indications for TRECATOR:
Adjunct in tuberculosis, when INH and rifampin are not appropriate.
Give with meals to minimize GI upset. Initially 250mg/day in 1–4 divided doses; titrate to highest tolerated dose (see full labeling). Usual range: 15–20mg/kg daily; max 1g/day.
Give with meals to minimize GI upset. 10–20mg/kg in 2–3 divided doses, or 15mg/kg once daily.
Severe hepatic impairment.
Confirm presence of susceptible bacterial infection before initiating therapy. Re-titrate when switching from Trecator SC sugar-coated tabs. Give with pyridoxine. Diabetes. Do baseline and periodic blood glucose levels, eye exams (including ophthalmoscopy). Monitor thyroid function. Obtain SGOT and SGPT before and monthly; suspend if levels increase. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Avoid alcohol. Potentiates other antituberculars. Convulsions with cycloserine.
GI upset, abdominal pain, excessive salivation, metallic taste, stomatitis, anorexia, liver dysfunction, psychosis, drowsiness, dizziness, restlessness, headache, postural hypotension, hypoglycemia, gynecomastia, impotence, acne; rarely; peripheral/optic neuritis, visual disturbances, pellagra, thrombocytopenia.
Trecator tablets have been reformulated from a sugar-coated tablet to a film-coated tablet which may result in higher peak levels.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder Associated With ADHD and Female Gender
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Symptom Trajectories Vary According to Language Development in Autism
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children