Generic Name and Formulations:
Ethionamide 250mg; tabs.
Indications for TRECATOR:
Adjunct in tuberculosis, when INH and rifampin are not appropriate.
Give with meals to minimize GI upset. Initially 250mg/day in 1–4 divided doses; titrate to highest tolerated dose (see full labeling). Usual range: 15–20mg/kg daily; max 1g/day.
Give with meals to minimize GI upset. 10–20mg/kg in 2–3 divided doses, or 15mg/kg once daily.
Severe hepatic impairment.
Confirm presence of susceptible bacterial infection before initiating therapy. Re-titrate when switching from Trecator SC sugar-coated tabs. Give with pyridoxine. Diabetes. Do baseline and periodic blood glucose levels, eye exams (including ophthalmoscopy). Monitor thyroid function. Obtain SGOT and SGPT before and monthly; suspend if levels increase. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Avoid alcohol. Potentiates other antituberculars. Convulsions with cycloserine.
GI upset, abdominal pain, excessive salivation, metallic taste, stomatitis, anorexia, liver dysfunction, psychosis, drowsiness, dizziness, restlessness, headache, postural hypotension, hypoglycemia, gynecomastia, impotence, acne; rarely; peripheral/optic neuritis, visual disturbances, pellagra, thrombocytopenia.
Trecator tablets have been reformulated from a sugar-coated tablet to a film-coated tablet which may result in higher peak levels.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Elevated Dopamine Synthesis Capacity Observed in Both Bipolar and Schizophrenia
- SSRI Use Associated With Increased Type 2 Diabetes Risk in Young Adults
- Specialty Physicians Experiencing Lack of Income Growth
- Improved Patient-Provider Communication Needed Following Urgent Care Visits
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV