The Oregon Foundation for Reproductive Health recommends that all medical providers ask all female patients of reproductive age if they plan to become pregnant in the next year.
Although PTSD is a significant component of the ongoing trauma from torture, it is far from representative of the whole spectrum of physical, mental, and psychological distress that survivors experience.
Cariprazine treatment is associated with significantly higher rates of long-term sustained remission in patients with schizophrenia.
Opioid therapy was shown to improve QoL in patients with concomitant fibromyalgia and PTSD.
Adding telmisartan to treatment with olanzapine or clozapine may improve symptoms of schizophrenia.
CBT and pharmacotherapy are effective treatments for anxiety disorders in children and adolescents younger than 18.
SSRI use is associated with an increased risk for bleeding.
Elderly patients have a higher prevalence of chronic pain than younger adults.
In traditional acupuncture, a concept that is central to achieving a therapeutic response is De Qi, which represents the sensory effects induced by the procedure.
In an 8-week open-label extension, escitalopram plus ziprasidone was found to be safe in certain patients, requiring regular cardiovascular and metabolic monitoring.
The rapidity of symptom remission (within 24 hours) and its efficacy are exciting developments in finding a novel treatment for PPD.
Men, including male physicians, are less likely than female physicians to seek medical treatment for their own health conditions.
Even when knowing they were taking a placebo, patients still obtained relief from pain.
Brief mindfulness meditation reduces difference between late positive potential response to negative high arousing, neutral stimuli.
Patients with a diagnosed psychiatric problem are at increased odds of being in the emergency department for more than 24 hours.
Sleep duration was significantly longer and there was less sleep disruption for pregnant women in the sleep enhancement training group compared with that of women in control groups.
Individuals with bilateral damage to the amygdala can still feel fear.
Effectiveness of Psychoeducational Intervention for Individuals Experiencing Fear of Cancer RecurrenceOctober 17, 2016
Researchers conducted a randomized controlled trial to examine the efficacy of a psychoeducational intervention to reduce fear of cancer recurrence.
The Effect of Cognitive Remediation Training on Functional Connectivity and Social Cognition in SchizophreniaOctober 13, 2016
Study provides further evidence for the effects of cognitive enhancement intervention on brain functional connectivity and cognitive performance in patients with schizophrenia.
Children and teens who used stimulants for attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder had lower bone mineral content and bone density than nonusers.
Psychotherapy session appears most effective in the morning when cortisol levels are high.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Anhedonia and Suicidal Ideation Linked Independent of Major Affective Disorders
- Rarity of Late-Onset ADHD: Symptoms Linked to Other Causes
- Cognitive Insight Impairment May Precede Neurocognitive Decline in Schizophrenia
- Trump Administration Provides the CDC With a List of Banned Words, Phrases
- Expert Perspective: Link Between Depression and Mortality in Cancer Patients
- Amber Lenses Before Bed Improve Insomnia Symptoms
- Pregnancy and Bipolar Disorder: Expert Interview With Leena Mittal, MD
- Cannabis Use in Adolescence May Mediate Future Hypomania
- Lurasidone Monotherapy Safe, Efficacious in Children, Adolescents With Bipolar Depression
- Sleep Disruption May Lead to Increased Beta Amyloid Production
- Examining Duration of Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation Sessions for Depression
- Pretreatment Functioning Associated With Anxiolytic Efficacy of Vortioxetine
- AAN Issues New Guidelines for Treatment of Mild Cognitive Impairment
- Quality Improvement Intervention Improves Documentation of Geriatric Transitions in Care
- Sexual Harassment: Response to a National Crisis