Traumatic Brain Injury
This research supports MRI as a prognostic tool following TBI and highlights several important lesion patterns correlated with poor long-term outcomes.
In this retrospective study, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) was associated with a doubling in deaths by suicide, especially within the 6 months post-TBI.
Individuals with medical contact for traumatic brain injury have increased risk for suicide.
These data support the importance of TBI preventative measures and proper management strategies for subsequent dementia.
Isolated vomiting (vomiting without other predictors of traumatic brain injury [TBI] as defined by 3 high-quality clinical decision rules) was not associated with clinically important TBI or evidence of TBI on computed tomography scans among pediatric patients with head injury.
Veterans diagnosed with TBI don't use opioids very often.
In patients with comorbid depression and TBI, multi-Watt transcranial near-infrared light therapy is effective.
There is a strong link between CTE and American football.
Threat even higher when injury occurs in middle age, investigators say
These preliminary findings suggest that combined treatment with MAAT and methylphenidate can improve attention, episodic and working memory, and executive functioning following traumatic brain injury.
Approximately 80% of depressive episodes have their onset during the first six months following traumatic brain injury.
Athletes presenting with psychosomatic symptoms before a concussion may have a longer recovery period.
An association was found between comorbid psychiatric comorbidities and headaches among individuals with traumatic brain injury.
Study suggests statins may play a role in the development of new-onset depression.
Until more effort is put into preventing injury in the first place, psychiatrists will likely continue to be key players in the game.
Amyloid plaque similar to that seen in Alzheimer's was found in participants with TBI.
Athletes often deny symptoms and a concussion diagnosis may depend on others noticing that a player is "off."
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Cannabis Use in Adolescence Associated With Poorer Mental Health Outcomes
- Cardioprotective Treatment May Reduce Adverse Effects in Schizophrenia
- Minocycline vs Routine Care for Clinical Symptom Improvement in Schizophrenia
- Insomnia in Borderline Personality Disorder May Increase Suicide Risk
- FDA Approves Powerful New Opioid Despite Criticisms
- Heart Rate Variability Predicts Treatment Response in Anxious Depression
- Impulsivity in Bipolar Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, ADHD
- Psychotropic Medication May Reduce Symptoms and Improve Functioning in PTSD
- Social Decline a Predictor of Conversion Outcome in High-Risk Individuals
- Buprenorphine/Samidorphan Helpful in Refractory Depression