Generic Name and Formulations:
Linagliptin 5mg; tabs.
Boehringer Ingelheim and Lilly
Indications for TRADJENTA:
Adjunct to diet and exercise in type 2 diabetes mellitus, as monotherapy or combination therapy.
Limitations Of use:
Not for treatment of type 1 diabetes or diabetic ketoacidosis. Not studied in patients with a history of pancreatitis.
5mg once daily.
<18yrs: not established.
Consider risks/benefits in patients with known risk factors for heart failure; monitor for signs/symptoms; evaluate and consider discontinuing if develops. Monitor for signs/symptoms of pancreatitis, serious hypersensitivity reactions, severe joint pain, or bullous pemphigoid; discontinue if suspected or occurs. History of angioedema to other DPP-4 inhibitors. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Antagonized by strong P-gp or CYP3A4 inducers (eg, rifampin); consider alternatives to linagliptin if used in combination. May need lower dose of concomitant sulfonylurea or insulin to reduce risk of hypoglycemia.
Dipeptidyl peptidase-4 (DPP-4) inhibitor.
Nasopharyngitis, diarrhea, cough, hypoglycemia; hypersensitivity reactions (eg, anaphylaxis, urticaria, angioedema, exfoliative skin conditions, bronchial hyperreactivity), myalgia, pancreatitis, severe and disabling arthralgia, bullous pemphigoid.
Enterohepatic (80%), renal (5%).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders