TOBI Podhaler Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Tobramycin 28mg; per cap; dry pwd for oral inhalation; with Podhaler device.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for TOBI Podhaler:
Management of cystic fibrosis patients with P. aeruginosa.
Adults and Children:
<6yrs: not established. For oral inhalation use only with Podhaler device; do not swallow caps. Give in alternate 28-day cycles (28 days on, 28 days off). ≥6yrs: Inhale contents of 4 caps twice daily, as close to every 12hrs as possible (must be at least 6hrs apart). Give last when using multiple inhalation therapies.
Safety and efficacy have not been demonstrated in patients <6yrs, in those with FEV1 <25% or >80% predicted, or patients colonized with B. cepacia. Known or suspected auditory, vestibular, renal, or neuromuscular dysfunction. Myasthenia gravis. Parkinson’s disease. Consider performing an audiogram at baseline (esp. at risk of auditory dysfunction). Monitor serum tobramycin levels in auditory or renal dysfunction patients, or if used with other aminoglycosides (or other nephrotoxic or ototoxic drugs) as needed. Discontinue if ototoxicity or nephrotoxicity occurs; may restart when serum tobramycin <2µg/mL. Monitor renal function as needed. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.D). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Concomitant ethacrynic acid, furosemide, urea, IV mannitol: not recommended. Diuretics may increase toxicity. Avoid concomitant and/or sequential use with other neurotoxic, nephrotoxic, or ototoxic drugs.
Cough, lung disorder, productive cough, dyspnea, pyrexia, oropharyngeal pain, dysphonia, hemoptysis, headache; hearing loss, tinnitus, nephrotoxicity, bronchospasm.
Caps—8, 56, 224 (w. Podhaler device)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Panel Recommends Earlier Body Weight Monitoring in Use of Mood Stabilizers
- Nondaily Cigarette Use Increasing Among Individuals With Mental Health, Substance Use Disorders
- Cesarean Delivery, Early Childhood Antibiotic Use Not Associated With Risk for ADHD
- Uncertainty as a Form of Violence: Current Immigration Policy and Crisis
- FDA Gets Tough on Juul, Other Electronic Cigarette Makers