Tobacco Use Disorder
Factors including economics, environment, and demographic and social factors might put rural residents at a higher risk of these preventable causes of death.
The US Food and Drug Administration has determined that varenicline and bupropion pose a lower risk of serious mental health side effects than was previously thought.
Compared with men who never used tobacco, those who used snus but did not smoke had a 24% higher risk of death from prostate cancer.
Researchers find heavy users have lower bone density than cigarette smokers.
Cigarette smoking prevalence among persons with severe mental illness is approximately 3 times greater than the rate observed in the general population.
Maternal tobacco smoking during pregnancy has previously been linked with numerous long-term neurodevelopmental abnormalities and child behavioral problems.
Varenicline is approved by the FDA for use as a smoking cessation aid.
Researchers analyzed smoking behavior of 1 470 veterans who enrolled in the SmokefreeVET tobacco cessation program between 2013 and 2014.
At 12 months, researchers found a significant association between smoking reduction and suicidality.
Bipolar disorder (BD) is typically characterized by recurrent episodes of mania and depression, but the connection between BD and anxiety needs to be considered.
The rate of cigarette smoking and premarital sex is down, however, as is soda consumption and illegal use of prescription drugs.
Approximately 30% of users exhibit signs of marijuana abuse or dependence.
Nicotine exposure during pregnancy through cigarette smoking is associated with schizophrenia in offspring.
New rules would halt the sale of e-cigarettes and any other tobacco product to anyone younger than 18.
More than 1.8 million smokers have attempted to quit smoking as a result of the 2014 ad campaign.
Stopping over time is less effective, British researchers say.
Researchers detected benzaldehyde in 108 of 145 products analyzed.
Nicotine-dependent smokers who began smoking in the 1980s were more likely than older smokers to have a psychiatric condition, such as bipolar disorder, antisocial personality disorder, or ADHD.
Found more likely to smoke, drink, and use illegal drugs and steroids.
Recent data suggests a lower chance of smoking cession for individuals using electronic cigarettes.
About 4% of Americans are currently battling a substance-use disorder.
Smoking cessation demonstrated the strongest association with improving depression after heart attack.
Participants who had used substances such as synthetic marijuana or bath salts were also more likely to have used illicit drugs.
Although questionable research sidelined psychedelic research decades ago, recent studies indicate they may be useful as a therapy for psychiatric disorders.
Patients who stopped smoking within a year of having a heart attack reported mental health levels on par with those who never smoked.
Smoking, high job stress puts workers at greater risk for mental health sick leave, though physical activity can reduce the need.
Almost 60% of people diagnosed with a first episode of psychosis were also smokers.
Smoking can contribute to depression and anxiety, and can reduce the efficacy of psychiatric medications.
Study of nearly 70,000 people prescribed varenicline for smoking cessation found drug not associated with significant increases in suicidal behavior, psychosis.
Although depression and anxiety are two of the most common comorbidities in patients with COPD, they are infrequently treated in this population.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Antidepressant Use and Dementia Risk in the Elderly
- Risk for Adverse Outcomes With Antidepressants in Dementia
- Chronic Alcohol Use Disorder Symptoms Occur Regardless of Social Status
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Buprenorphine, Methadone Combined With CNS Depressants May Lead to SAEs
- Vagus Nerve Stimulation in HIV-Associated Depression
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress