Factors including economics, environment, and demographic and social factors might put rural residents at a higher risk of these preventable causes of death.
The US Food and Drug Administration has determined that varenicline and bupropion pose a lower risk of serious mental health side effects than was previously thought.
Compared with men who never used tobacco, those who used snus but did not smoke had a 24% higher risk of death from prostate cancer.
Researchers find heavy users have lower bone density than cigarette smokers.
Cigarette smoking prevalence among persons with severe mental illness is approximately 3 times greater than the rate observed in the general population.
Maternal tobacco smoking during pregnancy has previously been linked with numerous long-term neurodevelopmental abnormalities and child behavioral problems.
Varenicline is approved by the FDA for use as a smoking cessation aid.
Researchers analyzed smoking behavior of 1 470 veterans who enrolled in the SmokefreeVET tobacco cessation program between 2013 and 2014.
At 12 months, researchers found a significant association between smoking reduction and suicidality.
Bipolar disorder (BD) is typically characterized by recurrent episodes of mania and depression, but the connection between BD and anxiety needs to be considered.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- The Current State of Autism: From Etiology to Treatment
- Adjunctive Telmisartan's Effects on Symptoms of Schizophrenia
- Is Aspirin Use Associated With a Decreased Incidence of Depressive Symptoms?
- Long-Term Cariprazine Safe, Tolerable for Schizophrenia
- Augmentation Therapy for Treatment-Resistant Major Depressive Disorder
- emPATH Units as a Solution for ED Psychiatric Patient Boarding
- Antidepressants for Poststroke Depression: Comparative Efficacy and Acceptability
- New Model Shows High Accuracy in Predicting Response to Lithium
- Frequent Cannabis Use Associated With Increased Likelihood of MDD
- Protecting the Brain: The Damaging Impact of Traumatic Brain Injury
- Undertreatment of ADHD in US Adults: An Unmet Need
- Sexual Dysfunction in Patients With Major Depressive Disorder in Remission
- Predictors of Optimal Schizophrenia Outcomes Using PP1M, PP3M Treatment
- Cariprazine Effective for Long-Term Sustained Remission in Patients with Schizophrenia
- High Serum Concentrations of Second-Generation Antipsychotics in Elderly