Generic Name and Formulations:
Timolol maleate 0.25%, 0.5%; oph gel forming soln.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for TIMOPTIC-XE:
Elevated intraocular pressure in ocular hypertension or open-angle glaucoma.
Invert closed bottle and shake once before each use. 1 drop once daily. Give other oph. drugs at least 10 minutes before.
Greater than 1st-degree AV block. Uncompensated cardiac failure. Cardiogenic shock. Sinus bradycardia. History of bronchospasm. Bronchial asthma. Severe COPD.
Not for use as sole agent in angle-closure glaucoma. Poor cardiac reserve should be controlled with digitalis and diuretics. Diabetes. Presbyopia. May mask hypoglycemia or thyrotoxicosis. Myasthenia gravis. Cerebrovascular insufficiency. Measure intraocular pressure after 4 weeks of treatment. Avoid abrupt cessation. Discontinue at 1st sign of cardiac failure and before surgery. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
May potentiate systemic β-blockers, reserpine, hypoglycemics and mydriatic effect of topical epinephrine. Additive cardiac and pulmonary effects with anticholinesterase miotics. May antagonize bronchodilation from β-adrenergic agonists. May cause conduction defects with calcium channel blockers, digoxin. May be potentiated by CYP2D6 inhibitors (eg, quinidine, SSRIs).
Ocular irritation, sensitization, rash, dizziness, blurred vision, corneal anesthesia, headache, GI upset, paresthesias. Systemic β-blocker effects (bradycardia, arrhythmias, hypotension, bronchospasm, heart failure). Aphakic maculopathy (rare).
Soln—contact supplier; Ocudose—60; XE—2.5mL, 5mL
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders