Generic Name and Formulations:
Timolol maleate 0.25%, 0.5%; oph gel forming soln.
Bausch Health Companies Inc.
Indications for TIMOPTIC-XE:
Elevated intraocular pressure in ocular hypertension or open-angle glaucoma.
Adults and Children:
<2yrs: not established. Invert closed bottle and shake once before each use. ≥2yrs: 1 drop once daily. Give other oph. drugs at least 10 minutes before.
Greater than 1st-degree AV block. Uncompensated cardiac failure. Cardiogenic shock. Sinus bradycardia. History of bronchospasm. Bronchial asthma. Severe COPD.
Not for use as sole agent in angle-closure glaucoma. Poor cardiac reserve should be controlled with digitalis and diuretics. Diabetes. Presbyopia. May mask hypoglycemia or thyrotoxicosis. Myasthenia gravis. Cerebrovascular insufficiency. Measure intraocular pressure after 4 weeks of treatment. Avoid abrupt cessation. Discontinue at 1st sign of cardiac failure and before surgery. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
May potentiate systemic β-blockers, reserpine, hypoglycemics and mydriatic effect of topical epinephrine. Additive cardiac and pulmonary effects with anticholinesterase miotics. May antagonize bronchodilation from β-adrenergic agonists. May cause conduction defects with calcium channel blockers, digoxin. May be potentiated by CYP2D6 inhibitors (eg, quinidine, SSRIs).
Ocular irritation, sensitization, rash, dizziness, blurred vision, corneal anesthesia, headache, GI upset, paresthesias. Systemic β-blocker effects (bradycardia, arrhythmias, hypotension, bronchospasm, heart failure). Aphakic maculopathy (rare).
Soln—contact supplier; Ocudose—60; XE—2.5mL, 5mL
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Comorbid Narcolepsy and Schizophrenia in Adolescents
- Ketamine in Electroconvulsive Therapy Accelerates Antidepressive Effects
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children