Generic Name and Formulations:
Ticarcillin (as disodium) 3g, clavulanate (as potassium) 0.1g; IV inj; sodium content 4.75mEq/g of ticarcillin; potassium content 0.15mEq/g of Timentin.
Indications for TIMENTIN:
Susceptible bacterial septicemia (adults only), lower respiratory, bone and joint, skin and skin structure, urinary tract, gynecologic and intraabdominal infections.
By IV infusion over 30 minutes. >60kg: Systemic and UTI: 3.1g every 4–6 hours. Gynecologic: moderate: 200mg/kg/day of ticarcillin in divided doses every 6 hours; severe: 300mg/kg/day in divided doses every 4 hours. <60kg: 200–300mg/kg/day in divided doses every 4–6 hours. Renal impairment: reduce dose; see literature.
<3months: not recommended. Give by IV infusion over 30 minutes. ≥3months: (<60kg): mild-to-moderate infections: 200mg/kg per day of ticarcillin in equal divided doses every 6 hrs: severe infections: 300mg/kg per day of ticarcillin in equal divided doses every 4 hours. ≥3months (≥60kg): mild-to-moderate infections: 3.1g every 6 hrs; severe infections: 3.1g every 4 hours. Renal impairment: reduce dose; see literature.
Cephalosporin, imipenem or other allergy. Not for use in children for septicemia or H. influenzae type b infections. Heart disease. Sodium restricted diets. Monitor serum electrolytes (esp. potassium) and renal, hepatic, hematopoietic function during prolonged therapy. Discontinue if bleeding problems occur and treat. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Probenecid increases ticarcillin levels. May cause false (+) Coomb's test.
Antipseudomonal penicillin + β-lactamase inhibitor.
Inj site reactions, rash, pruritus, drug fever, GI upset, blood dyscrasias, hemorrhage, hypokalemia, superinfection, anaphylaxis, CNS stimulation, elevated liver enzymes.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- Antidepressant Use and Dementia Risk in the Elderly
- Sleep Apnea Implant Device Receives FDA Approval
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Duration of Untreated Depression Predicts Depression Severity
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Cognitive Dysfunction a Sign of Prodromal Parkinson Disease
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Bipolar Depression Benefits From Midday Bright Light Therapy