Generic Name and Formulations:
Trimethobenzamide HCl 300mg; caps.
Indications for TIGAN:
Treatment of post-op or gastroenteritis-associated nausea and vomiting.
Use lowest effective dose. 300mg 3–4 times daily. Elderly or renal impairment (CrCl <70mL/min/1.73m2): reduce dose by increasing the dosing interval.
Acute dystonic reactions. Extrapyramidal symptoms. May mask other serious disorders (eg, encephalopathy, metabolic imbalance). Children (Reye's syndrome). Monitor for hepatic impairment; discontinue if occurs. Renal impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Potentiated by alcohol (avoid), other CNS depressants (eg, sedatives, hypnotics, opiates, anxiolytics, antipsychotics, anticholinergics); monitor.
Parkinson-like symptoms, drowsiness, blood dyscrasias, blurred vision, coma, seizures, depression, diarrhea, disorientation, dizziness, jaundice, hypotension (inj), headache, muscle cramps, opisthotonos; hepatotoxicity, hypersensitivity reactions.
Caps—100; Single-use vials (2mL)—25; Multi-dose vial (20mL)—1
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder