Ticlopidine HCl Tablets Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Ticlopidine HCl 250mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Ticlopidine HCl Tablets:
To reduce the risk of thrombotic stroke in selected patients intolerant of aspirin.
250mg twice daily with food.
Hematopoietic disorders including neutropenia, thrombocytopenia, or history of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP). Hemostatic or active bleeding disorders. Severe hepatic impairment.
Monitor for hematologic toxicity at baseline, every 2 weeks for the first 3 months, and for 2 weeks after discontinuation; test more frequently if signs of hematological changes occur. Discontinue if neutropenia or TTP occur. Renal or hepatic impairment. Bleeding risk (eg, ulcers). Discontinue 10–14 days before surgery. Hyperlipidemia. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Platelet aggregation inhibitor.
Discontinue anticoagulants, fibrinolytics before use. Avoid aspirin. Potentiates aspirin, NSAIDs, anticoagulants, antipyrine, theophylline. Antacids reduce absorption. May be potentiated by cimetidine. Monitor phenytoin. May antagonize digoxin. Caution with propranolol, drugs that increase risk of bleeding, and drugs metabolized by CYP450.
Diarrhea, GI upset, rash, neutropenia, pruritus, dizziness, anorexia, abnormal liver function tests, bleeding complications, hyperlipidemia, TTP, aplastic anemia, agranulocytosis, other blood dyscrasis, jaundice.
Formerly known under the brand name Ticlid.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age