TICE BCG Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Bacillus of Calmette and Guerin (BCG) strain of Mycobacterium bovis live, attenuated culture preparation; 50mg per vial; pwd for intravesical administration after reconstitution and dilution; preservative-free.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for TICE BCG:
Treatment and prophylaxis of carcinoma in situ (CIS) of the urinary bladder. Prophylaxis of stage Ta and/or T1 papillary tumor of the urinary bladder.
1 vial in 50mL preservative-free saline intravesically once per week for 6 weeks (may repeat this regimen once if remission not achieved); then monthly for 6–12 months if needed. Avoid fluid at least 4 hrs before treatment and void immediately before administration. Retain in bladder for 2 hours.
Immunosuppressed. Active TB. Febrile illness. UTI. Gross hematuria. Do not give within 7 days after bladder biopsy, transurethral resection (TUR), or traumatic catheterization.
Not a vaccine for prevention of cancer or TB. Not for IV or SC use. Determine PPD status prior to therapy; rule out active TB if (+). Monitor for signs of systemic BCG infection: flu-like symptoms >72 hrs, fever ≥103°F, persistent LFT abnormalities; prostatitis, epididymitis, orchitis >2 days; treat with at least 2 antimycobacterial drugs (except pyrazinamide). Local irritative toxicities: do not treat with antimycobacterials. Bleeding bladder mucosa, small bladder. Disinfect fluid voided after therapy with bleach. PPD seroconversion may occur with treatment. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Immunosuppressants, myelosuppressants, radiation, antimicrobial therapy may reduce efficacy.
Urine discoloration, bladder irritation, inflammation (begins after 4 hrs and last up to 72 hrs), malaise, fever, chills, flu-like syndrome, systemic BCG infection, dysuria, urinary frequency, hematuria, cystitis, urgency, nocturia, cramps, pain, incontinence, rigors, arthralgia.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder