TICE BCG Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Bacillus of Calmette and Guerin (BCG) strain of Mycobacterium bovis live, attenuated culture preparation; 50mg per vial; pwd for intravesical administration after reconstitution and dilution; preservative-free.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for TICE BCG:
Treatment and prophylaxis of carcinoma in situ (CIS) of the urinary bladder. Prophylaxis of stage Ta and/or T1 papillary tumor of the urinary bladder.
1 vial in 50mL preservative-free saline intravesically once per week for 6 weeks (may repeat this regimen once if remission not achieved); then monthly for 6–12 months if needed. Avoid fluid at least 4 hrs before treatment and void immediately before administration. Retain in bladder for 2 hours.
Immunosuppressed. Active TB. Febrile illness. UTI. Gross hematuria. Do not give within 7 days after bladder biopsy, transurethral resection (TUR), or traumatic catheterization.
Not a vaccine for prevention of cancer or TB. Not for IV or SC use. Determine PPD status prior to therapy; rule out active TB if (+). Monitor for signs of systemic BCG infection: flu-like symptoms >72 hrs, fever ≥103°F, persistent LFT abnormalities; prostatitis, epididymitis, orchitis >2 days; treat with at least 2 antimycobacterial drugs (except pyrazinamide). Local irritative toxicities: do not treat with antimycobacterials. Bleeding bladder mucosa, small bladder. Disinfect fluid voided after therapy with bleach. PPD seroconversion may occur with treatment. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Immunosuppressants, myelosuppressants, radiation, antimicrobial therapy may reduce efficacy.
Urine discoloration, bladder irritation, inflammation (begins after 4 hrs and last up to 72 hrs), malaise, fever, chills, flu-like syndrome, systemic BCG infection, dysuria, urinary frequency, hematuria, cystitis, urgency, nocturia, cramps, pain, incontinence, rigors, arthralgia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders