Early adherence is an especially problematic, significant and modifiable barrier to quality care for depression.
Over the long term, overweight and obese patients with type 2 diabetes often regain weight lost during weight loss programs.
Digital CBT is associated with reductions in insomnia, for university students.
ECT significantly reduced headache incidence and severity.
In traditional acupuncture, a concept that is central to achieving a therapeutic response is De Qi, which represents the sensory effects induced by the procedure.
Research findings support continuation of ECT plus medication in a depressed elderly population.
Results of brain imaging studies demonstrate that "hypnosis influences all of the cortical areas and neurophysiological processes that underlie pain and emotions."
These preliminary findings suggest that combined treatment with MAAT and methylphenidate can improve attention, episodic and working memory, and executive functioning following traumatic brain injury.
The ADA released detailed guidelines for psychosocial assessments and care based on factors including age, type of diabetes, and family support system.
The major issues of drug development are that pre-clinical animal efficacy studies do not accurately predict human efficacy, and clinical trials often inaccurately fail to show drug efficacy.
A webinar on patient shame forms part of the Prescribers' Clinical Support System for Opioid Therapies.
Sunovion have announced positive results from a study evaluating Latuda (lurasidone HCI) for the treatment of schizophrenia in adolescents aged 13 to 17 years old.
The recovery time varies depending on which class of medication the patient is overusing.
Connectivity in the right midfrontal gyrus may help predict placebo response. This finding has widespread implications in drug development.
Hypopituitarism may be associated with reduced oxytocin concentrations and impaired empathic ability.
The crystal structure may provide inspiration for designing drugs that refine efficacy and avoid adverse events.
There was a significantly greater improvement in memantine group and a greater response rate at weeks 4 and 6.
Research found that cognitive rehabilitation program could improve self-reported cognitive function through 6 months.
Medications used to treat addiction cut the risk of reoffending in half.
Dr. Scott Zeller suggests it is time to move away from emergency intramuscular haloperidol.
One topic of criticism is the relative dearth of scientific evidence regarding the efficacy of 12-step programs.
Laughing about 10 minutes every day has similar benefits to eating vegetables, exercising, and meditating.
Dialectical behavioral therapy uses the concept of "radical acceptance" to help manage the psychological and emotional aspects of chronic pain.
Regular evaluation and assessment along with a personalized "step approach" is essential for effective pain management.
While treatments for pain often target either the brain or the body, data show treatments often benefit both.
Combined pharmacologic and behavioral treatment approaches are more beneficial than either approach alone for chronic pain conditions.
Psychosocial approaches have become critical in the face of the chronic pain epidemic.
These free online resources may be of interest to patients in rural settings who may not have access to pain psychologists.
Researchers investigated the lasting effects of whole body hyperthermia (WBH) in the first randomized, double-blind, [placebo]-controlled study of WBH for the treatment of MDD.
Converting just 1 meeting per week to a walking meeting can increase on-the-job activity levels for white-collar workers.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Antidepressant Use and Dementia Risk in the Elderly
- Risk for Adverse Outcomes With Antidepressants in Dementia
- Chronic Alcohol Use Disorder Symptoms Occur Regardless of Social Status
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Buprenorphine, Methadone Combined With CNS Depressants May Lead to SAEs
- Vagus Nerve Stimulation in HIV-Associated Depression
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress