Generic Name and Formulations:
Theophylline 100mg, 200mg, 300mg, 400mg; ext-rel caps.
Indications for THEO-24:
Asthma. Chronic bronchitis. Emphysema.
See literature. Swallow whole. Stabilized patients may be switched from immediate-release or controlled-release product to once- or twice-daily dosing with Theo-24 on a mg/mg basis. Do not take within 1 hour of fatty food if on high dose. Max without serum level monitoring: 12–15years: 16mg/kg (max 400mg) per day; ≥16years: 400mg/day.
Not for primary treatment of acute attack. Active peptic ulcer. Arrhythmias. Seizure disorders. Hepatic dysfunction. CHF. Acute pulmonary edema. Cor pulmonale. Hypothyroidism. Fever. Sepsis. Shock. Monitor serum levels; do not try to maintain non-tolerated doses. Rapid metabolizers. Infants (<3 months of age) with reduced renal function. Neonates. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
See literature. Smokers have increased metabolism. Potentiated by quinolones, macrolides, enoxacin, cimetidine, alcohol, allopurinol, estrogen oral contraceptives, tacrine, interferon alpha, disulfiram, fluvoxamine, verapamil, mexiletine, methotrexate, pentoxifylline, propafenone, ticlopidine, thiabenazole. Antagonized by phenytoin, rifampin, barbiturates, carbamazepine, aminogluthethimide, moricizine, St. John's wort, isoproterenol, sulfinpyrazone. Avoid β-blockers. Antagonizes lithium, benzodiazepines, pancuronium, adenosine. Toxicity with sympathomimetics. Seizures with ketamine. Arrhythmias with halothane.
GI upset, headache, CNS stimulation, diuresis, arrhythmias, seizures.
Caps 100mg, 400mg—100; 200mg, 300mg—100, 500
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age