Generic Name and Formulations:
Theophylline 100mg, 200mg, 300mg, 400mg; ext-rel caps.
Indications for THEO-24:
Asthma. Chronic bronchitis. Emphysema.
See literature. Swallow whole. Stabilized patients may be switched from immediate-release or controlled-release product to once- or twice-daily dosing with Theo-24 on a mg/mg basis. Do not take within 1 hour of fatty food if on high dose. Max without serum level monitoring: 12–15years: 16mg/kg (max 400mg) per day; ≥16years: 400mg/day.
Not for primary treatment of acute attack. Active peptic ulcer. Arrhythmias. Seizure disorders. Hepatic dysfunction. CHF. Acute pulmonary edema. Cor pulmonale. Hypothyroidism. Fever. Sepsis. Shock. Monitor serum levels; do not try to maintain non-tolerated doses. Rapid metabolizers. Infants (<3 months of age) with reduced renal function. Neonates. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
See literature. Smokers have increased metabolism. Potentiated by quinolones, macrolides, enoxacin, cimetidine, alcohol, allopurinol, estrogen oral contraceptives, tacrine, interferon alpha, disulfiram, fluvoxamine, verapamil, mexiletine, methotrexate, pentoxifylline, propafenone, ticlopidine, thiabenazole. Antagonized by phenytoin, rifampin, barbiturates, carbamazepine, aminogluthethimide, moricizine, St. John's wort, isoproterenol, sulfinpyrazone. Avoid β-blockers. Antagonizes lithium, benzodiazepines, pancuronium, adenosine. Toxicity with sympathomimetics. Seizures with ketamine. Arrhythmias with halothane.
GI upset, headache, CNS stimulation, diuresis, arrhythmias, seizures.
Caps 100mg, 400mg—100; 200mg, 300mg—100, 500
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Mortality Rates for Substance Use Disorders, Intentional Injuries Vary Widely By Country
- Facial Emotion Recognition Differentiates Behavioral Variant Frontotemporal Dementia From MDD
- The Challenge of Helping Uninsured Patients While Protecting Practice Finances
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition