TETANUS TOXOID BOOSTER Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Tetanus toxoid booster vaccine; for IM or SC inj; contains thimerosal.
Sanofi Pasteur, Inc.
Indications for TETANUS TOXOID BOOSTER:
Tetanus immunization booster.
Adults and Children:
<7yrs: not recommended. Give IM or SC in lateral mid-thigh or deltoid. ≥7yrs: After completion of primary immunization: 0.5mL every 10 years. Tetanus prophylaxis: see literature.
Not for primary immunization. History of systemic allergic or neurologic reactions to a previous dose of DT.
Latex allergy. Previous arthus-type hypersensitivity reaction: do not give more frequently than every 10 years. Defer in moderate or severe active respiratory or other febrile infection (may vaccinate if mild or minor illness) or during polio outbreak. Bleeding disorders (use SC route). Immunosuppressed. History of Guillain-Barre syndrome within 6 weeks of last tetanus vaccine. Have epinephrine (1:1000) available. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
May get suboptimal response with immunosuppressants (eg, chemotherapy, high dose corticosteroids ≥2 weeks, radiation); consider deferring.
Local reactions (eg, erythema, tenderness), malaise, fever, hypotension, pain, nausea, arthralgia; rare: neurological disorders.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Lithium Monotherapy Effective in Treating Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Increasing Among US Children and Adolescents
- Cost-Effective Telehealth Alternatives for Veterans With Depression
- Polygenic Risk Scores Could Aid in Identifying Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses