TETANUS TOXOID BOOSTER Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Tetanus toxoid booster vaccine; for IM or SC inj; contains thimerosal.
Sanofi Pasteur, Inc.
Indications for TETANUS TOXOID BOOSTER:
Tetanus immunization booster.
Adults and Children:
<7yrs: not recommended. Give IM or SC in lateral mid-thigh or deltoid. ≥7yrs: After completion of primary immunization: 0.5mL every 10 years. Tetanus prophylaxis: see literature.
Not for primary immunization. History of systemic allergic or neurologic reactions to a previous dose of DT.
Latex allergy. Previous arthus-type hypersensitivity reaction: do not give more frequently than every 10 years. Defer in moderate or severe active respiratory or other febrile infection (may vaccinate if mild or minor illness) or during polio outbreak. Bleeding disorders (use SC route). Immunosuppressed. History of Guillain-Barre syndrome within 6 weeks of last tetanus vaccine. Have epinephrine (1:1000) available. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
May get suboptimal response with immunosuppressants (eg, chemotherapy, high dose corticosteroids ≥2 weeks, radiation); consider deferring.
Local reactions (eg, erythema, tenderness), malaise, fever, hypotension, pain, nausea, arthralgia; rare: neurological disorders.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Duration of Untreated Depression Predicts Depression Severity
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Elevated Dopamine Synthesis Capacity Observed in Both Bipolar and Schizophrenia
- SSRI Use Associated With Increased Type 2 Diabetes Risk in Young Adults
- Specialty Physicians Experiencing Lack of Income Growth
- Improved Patient-Provider Communication Needed Following Urgent Care Visits
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV