TETANUS TOXOID ADSORBED Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Tetanus toxoid; aluminum adsorbed; susp for IM inj; multi-dose vial preserved with thimerosal, single-dose vials contain trace amounts of thimerosal.
Sanofi Pasteur, Inc.
Indications for TETANUS TOXOID ADSORBED:
Adults and Children:
<7yrs: not recommended. Give IM in anterolateral thigh or deltoid. ≥7yrs: Previously unvaccinated: three 0.5mL doses at elected date, then 4–8 weeks after first dose, and 6–12 months after second dose. Give booster dose at 11–12 yrs of age if last dose of tetanus and diphtheria toxoid-containing vaccine was given ≥5yrs ago. Other: give booster every 10 years.
Latex allergy. Previous arthus-type hypersensitivity reaction: do not give more frequently than every 10 years. Defer in moderate or severe active respiratory or other febrile infection (may vaccinate if mild or minor illness) or during polio outbreak. Guillain-Barre syndrome within 6 weeks of last tetanus vaccine. Bleeding disorders. Immunosuppressed. Have epinephrine (1:1000) available. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
May get suboptimal response with immunosuppressants (eg, chemotherapy, high dose corticosteroids ≥2 weeks, radiation); consider deferring.
Local reactions (eg, erythema, tenderness), malaise, fever, hypotension, pain, nausea, arthralgia; rare: neurological disorders.
Single-dose vials (latex free)—10
Multi-dose vial (5mL)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Lithium Monotherapy Effective in Treating Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Increasing Among US Children and Adolescents
- Cost-Effective Telehealth Alternatives for Veterans With Depression
- Polygenic Risk Scores Could Aid in Identifying Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses