TETANUS AND DIPHTHERIA TOXOIDS ADSORBED Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Tetanus and diphtheria toxoids; aluminum adsorbed; susp for IM inj; contains residual formaldehyde, thimerosal (trace); latex-free.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for TETANUS AND DIPHTHERIA TOXOIDS ADSORBED:
Tetanus and diphtheria immunization in patients ≥7yrs.
Adults and Children:
<7yrs: not recommended. ≥7yrs: Give IM in deltoid muscle. Previously unvaccinated: three 0.5mL doses at elected date, then 4–8 weeks after first dose, and 6–12 months after second dose. Give booster dose at 11–12yrs of age if last dose of tetanus and diphtheria toxoid-containing vaccine was given ≥5yrs ago. Other: give booster every 10yrs. Diphtheria and tetanus prophylaxis: see full labeling.
Anaphylaxis associated with a previous dose.
Guillain-Barre syndrome within 6 weeks of previous tetanus toxoid vaccine. Previous Arthus-type hypersensitivity reaction: not recommended until ≥10yrs after prior dose of tetanus toxoid-containing vaccine. Immunodeficiency. Have epinephrine (1:1000) available. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant vaccines: see full labeling. Immunosuppressants (eg, radiation, chemotherapy, high-dose steroids): may get suboptimal response.
Local reactions (eg, erythema, tenderness), dizziness, headache, myalgia, fever; rare: neurological disorders.
Formerly known under the brand name Decavac.
Single-dose vials (0.5mL)—10
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders