TETANUS AND DIPHTHERIA TOXOIDS ADSORBED Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Tetanus and diphtheria toxoids; aluminum adsorbed; susp for IM inj; contains residual formaldehyde, thimerosal (trace); latex-free.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for TETANUS AND DIPHTHERIA TOXOIDS ADSORBED:
Tetanus and diphtheria immunization in patients ≥7yrs.
Adults and Children:
<7yrs: not recommended. ≥7yrs: Give IM in deltoid muscle. Previously unvaccinated: three 0.5mL doses at elected date, then 4–8 weeks after first dose, and 6–12 months after second dose. Give booster dose at 11–12yrs of age if last dose of tetanus and diphtheria toxoid-containing vaccine was given ≥5yrs ago. Other: give booster every 10yrs. Diphtheria and tetanus prophylaxis: see full labeling.
Anaphylaxis associated with a previous dose.
Guillain-Barre syndrome within 6 weeks of previous tetanus toxoid vaccine. Previous Arthus-type hypersensitivity reaction: not recommended until ≥10yrs after prior dose of tetanus toxoid-containing vaccine. Immunodeficiency. Have epinephrine (1:1000) available. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant vaccines: see full labeling. Immunosuppressants (eg, radiation, chemotherapy, high-dose steroids): may get suboptimal response.
Local reactions (eg, erythema, tenderness), dizziness, headache, myalgia, fever; rare: neurological disorders.
Formerly known under the brand name Decavac.
Single-dose vials (0.5mL)—10
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Comorbid Narcolepsy and Schizophrenia in Adolescents
- Ketamine in Electroconvulsive Therapy Accelerates Antidepressive Effects
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children