Generic Name and Formulations:
Atenolol, chlorthalidone; 50mg/25mg+, 100mg/25mg; tabs; (+) scored.
Indications for TENORETIC:
Switching from monotherapy: initially one 50mg/25mg tab daily; may increase to one 100mg/25mg tab daily. CrCl 15–35mL/minute: max 50mg atenolol/day. CrCl <15mL/minute: max 50mg atenolol every other day.
Sinus bradycardia. 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block. Overt heart failure. Cardiogenic shock. Anuria. Sulfonamide allergy. Pregnancy (Cat.D).
Heart failure. Bronchospastic disease. Renal or hepatic dysfunction. SLE. Gout. Diabetes. Asthma. Hyperthyroidism. Hypokalemia. Surgery. Postsympathectomy. Peripheral circulatory disorders. Avoid abrupt cessation. Monitor electrolytes. Excessive diuresis. Potassium supplementation may be needed. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
May potentiate hypotension with prazosin, alcohol, catecholamine-depleting drugs, CNS depressants. May increase toxicity of diazoxide, digitalis, lithium. Conduction abnormalities, bradycardia, heart block with calcium channel blockers (esp. verapamil, diltiazem). Adjust antidiabetic medications. Increased rebound hypertension with clonidine withdrawal. May block epinephrine. May increase responsiveness to tubocurarine. ACTH, steroids, amphotericin B increase risk of hypokalemia.
Cardioselective beta-blocker + diuretic.
Heart failure, bronchospasm, bradycardia, heart block, dizziness, fatigue, fluid or electrolyte imbalance, hyperuricemia, orthostatic hypotension, GI upset, cold extremities.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder