Generic Name and Formulations:
Atenolol, chlorthalidone; 50mg/25mg+, 100mg/25mg; tabs; (+) scored.
Indications for TENORETIC:
Switching from monotherapy: initially one 50mg/25mg tab daily; may increase to one 100mg/25mg tab daily. CrCl 15–35mL/minute: max 50mg atenolol/day. CrCl <15mL/minute: max 50mg atenolol every other day.
Sinus bradycardia. 2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block. Overt heart failure. Cardiogenic shock. Anuria. Sulfonamide allergy. Pregnancy (Cat.D).
Heart failure. Bronchospastic disease. Renal or hepatic dysfunction. SLE. Gout. Diabetes. Asthma. Hyperthyroidism. Hypokalemia. Surgery. Postsympathectomy. Peripheral circulatory disorders. Avoid abrupt cessation. Monitor electrolytes. Excessive diuresis. Potassium supplementation may be needed. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Cardioselective beta-blocker + diuretic.
May potentiate hypotension with prazosin, alcohol, catecholamine-depleting drugs, CNS depressants. May increase toxicity of diazoxide, digitalis, lithium. Conduction abnormalities, bradycardia, heart block with calcium channel blockers (esp. verapamil, diltiazem). Adjust antidiabetic medications. Increased rebound hypertension with clonidine withdrawal. May block epinephrine. May increase responsiveness to tubocurarine. ACTH, steroids, amphotericin B increase risk of hypokalemia.
Heart failure, bronchospasm, bradycardia, heart block, dizziness, fatigue, fluid or electrolyte imbalance, hyperuricemia, orthostatic hypotension, GI upset, cold extremities.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Comorbid Narcolepsy and Schizophrenia in Adolescents
- Ketamine in Electroconvulsive Therapy Accelerates Antidepressive Effects
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children