Generic Name and Formulations:
Tetanus and diphtheria toxoids; aluminum adsorbed; susp for IM inj; preservative-free.
Sanofi Pasteur, Inc.
Indications for TENIVAC:
Tetanus and diphtheria immunization in patients >7yrs.
Adults and Children:
<7yrs: not established. >7yrs: Give IM in deltoid muscle. Previously unvaccinated: three 0.5mL doses, administer first two doses 2 months apart and then third dose 6–8 months after second dose. Routine booster: give at 11–12yrs of age and every 10 years thereafter. Diphtheria and tetanus prophylaxis: see full labeling.
Anaphylaxis associated with a previous dose.
Guillain-Barre syndrome within 6 weeks of previous tetanus toxoid vaccine. Previous Arthus-type hypersensitivity reaction: not recommended until ≥10yrs after prior dose of tetanus toxoid-containing vaccine. Immunodeficiency. Have epinephrine (1:1000) available. Latex allergy (syringe tip cap). Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant tetanus immune globulin (human): inject at separate site with separate needle and syringe if passive protection required. Immunosuppressants (eg, radiation, chemotherapy, high-dose steroids): may get suboptimal response.
Injection site reactions (eg, pain, redness, swelling), headache, malaise, muscle weakness, joint pain.
Single-dose vials (0.5mL)—10
Single-dose prefilled syringe (0.5mL)—10
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Lithium Monotherapy Effective in Treating Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Increasing Among US Children and Adolescents
- Cost-Effective Telehealth Alternatives for Veterans With Depression
- Polygenic Risk Scores Could Aid in Identifying Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses