Generic Name and Formulations:
Tetanus and diphtheria toxoids; aluminum adsorbed; susp for IM inj; preservative-free.
Sanofi Pasteur, Inc.
Indications for TENIVAC:
Tetanus and diphtheria immunization in patients >7yrs.
Adults and Children:
<7yrs: not established. >7yrs: Give IM in deltoid muscle. Previously unvaccinated: three 0.5mL doses, administer first two doses 2 months apart and then third dose 6–8 months after second dose. Routine booster: give at 11–12yrs of age and every 10 years thereafter. Diphtheria and tetanus prophylaxis: see full labeling.
Anaphylaxis associated with a previous dose.
Guillain-Barre syndrome within 6 weeks of previous tetanus toxoid vaccine. Previous Arthus-type hypersensitivity reaction: not recommended until ≥10yrs after prior dose of tetanus toxoid-containing vaccine. Immunodeficiency. Have epinephrine (1:1000) available. Latex allergy (syringe tip cap). Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant tetanus immune globulin (human): inject at separate site with separate needle and syringe if passive protection required. Immunosuppressants (eg, radiation, chemotherapy, high-dose steroids): may get suboptimal response.
Injection site reactions (eg, pain, redness, swelling), headache, malaise, muscle weakness, joint pain.
Single-dose vials (0.5mL)—10
Single-dose prefilled syringe (0.5mL)—10
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders