Generic Name and Formulations:
Ceftaroline fosamil 400mg, 600mg; per vial; pwd for IV infusion after reconstitution and dilution.
Indications for TEFLARO:
Susceptible bacterial community-acquired pneumonia and acute skin and skin structure infections.
≥18yrs: Give by IV infusion over 5–60mins. Treat skin and skin structure for 5–14 days; treat pneumonia for 5–7days. CrCl >50mL/min: 600mg every 12hrs. Renal impairment (CrCl >30–≤50mL/min): 400mg every 12hrs; (CrCl ≥15–≤30mL/min): 300mg every 12hrs; ESRD (including hemodialysis): 200mg every 12hrs (dose after dialysis on dialysis days).
<2mos: not established. Give by IV infusion over 5–60mins. 2mos–<2yrs: 8mg/kg every 8hrs. ≥2yrs–<18yrs (≤33kg): 12mg/kg every 8hrs; (>33kg): 400mg every 8hrs or 600mg every 12hrs. All: treat for 5–14 days.
Penicillin or other beta-lactam allergy. GI disease (esp. colitis). Monitor for hemolytic anemia. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
May cause false (+) direct Coomb's test.
Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, pyrexia, rash; pseudomembranous colitis, superinfection.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder Associated With ADHD and Female Gender
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Symptom Trajectories Vary According to Language Development in Autism
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children
- Addressing the Uncertainties of the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program for Medical School Graduates
- Leana Wen, MD, to Assume Planned Parenthood Presidency
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology