Generic Name and Formulations:
Dimethyl fumarate 120mg, 240mg; del-rel caps.
Indications for TECFIDERA:
Treatment of patients with relapsing forms of multiple sclerosis.
Swallow whole. Initially 120mg twice daily for 7 days, then increase to maintenance dose of 240mg twice daily. If maintenance dose not tolerated, temporarily reduce back to initial dose. Within 4 weeks, resume maintenance dose; if not tolerated, consider discontinuing.
Obtain a CBC including lymphocyte count prior to initiation, after 6 months, and every 6 to 12 months thereafter; consider interruption if lymphocyte counts < 0.5 X 109/L persist for >6 months. Serious infection; consider withholding until resolved. Pre-existing low lymphocyte counts (not studied). Monitor serum aminotransferase, alkaline phosphatase, and total bilirubin prior to initiation and during treatment; discontinue if significant liver injury is suspected. Discontinue if signs/symptoms of anaphylaxis or angioedema occurs. Withhold and evaluate at first sign/symptom suggestive of PML. Administration with non-enteric coated aspirin 325mg or food may reduce incidence of flushing. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Flushing, abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, pruritus, rash; lymphopenia, liver injury.
Starter Pack (30-day)—1 (120mg × 14 + 240mg × 46); Del-rel caps 120mg—14; 240mg—60
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Antidepressant Use and Dementia Risk in the Elderly
- Risk for Adverse Outcomes With Antidepressants in Dementia
- Chronic Alcohol Use Disorder Symptoms Occur Regardless of Social Status
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Buprenorphine, Methadone Combined With CNS Depressants May Lead to SAEs
- Vagus Nerve Stimulation in HIV-Associated Depression
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress