TARGRETIN GEL Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Bexarotene 1%; gel.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for TARGRETIN GEL:
Cutaneous lesions in patients with CTCL (Stage IA and IB) who have refractory or persistent disease after other therapies or who have not tolerated other therapies.
Apply once every other day for the 1st week; then increase frequency at weekly intervals to once daily, then twice daily, then 3 times daily, then 4 times daily based on lesion tolerance. Usual dosing frequency: 2–4 times daily; may reduce if application site toxicity occurs. Allow gel to dry. Do not occlude.
Be fully familiar with this drug's toxicity before use. Counsel patients monthly about need for contraception. Women of childbearing potential: obtain reliable negative pregnancy test within 1 week of start; repeat monthly. Start therapy on 2nd or 3rd day of normal menstrual period. Use two effective forms of contraception 1 month prior to, during, and for 1 month after therapy. Max 1 month/℞. Men with partners who are or may become pregnant: use condoms during and for at least 1 month after therapy. Hepatic or renal insufficiency. Discontinue temporarily if severe irritation occurs. Avoid sun, UV light, and mucosal membranes. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid concomitant products that contain DEET. May be potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, itraconazole, erythromycin, grapefruit juice). Caution with gemfibrozil. Limit Vit. A supplements to avoid toxicity.
Application site reactions (eg, rash, pruritus, skin disorders, pain, contact dermatitis).
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Enhanced Vaccination Effectiveness in Older Adults Linked to Positive Mood
- Subjective Cognitive Decline Linked to Alzheimer Biomarker
- Unnecessary Costs Associated With Low-Cost, Low-Value Health Services
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?