Generic Name and Formulations:
Flecainide acetate 50mg, 100mg+, 150mg+; tabs; +scored.
Medicis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for TAMBOCOR:
Documented, life-threatening ventricular arrhythmias. Paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardias (PSVT), paroxysmal atrial fibrillation/flutter (PAF) in patients without structural heart disease.
Sustained ventricular tachycardia: Initiate in hospital; initially 100mg every 12 hrs; may increase by 50mg twice daily at 4 day intervals; max 400mg/day. PSVT or PAF: 50mg every 12 hrs; may increase by 50mg twice daily at 4 day intervals; max 300mg daily. CrCl ≤35mL/min per 1.73m2: Initially 100mg once daily or 50mg every 12hrs.
<18yrs: not recommended.
2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block or right bundle branch block associated with left hemiblock, unless paced. Chronic atrial fibrillation. Cardiogenic shock. Recent MI.
Verify benefits outweigh risks; see literature. Heart failure or myocardial dysfunction. Sick sinus syndrome. Pacemaker patients. Correct potassium imbalances before use. Severe renal or hepatic impairment, concomitant amiodarone or reduced myocardial function: monitor plasma level. Discontinue if heart block occurs unless paced. Discontinue if liver dysfunction, blood dyscrasias occur. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Increased digoxin toxicity. May potentiate negative inotropic effects of β-blockers. Potentiated by cimetidine. Antagonized by phenytoin, phenobarbital, carbamazepine. Avoid disopyramide, verapamil, nifedipine, diltiazem, other negative inotropics. ½ dose when given with amiodarone.
Class IC antiarrhythmic.
Dizziness, visual disturbances, dyspnea, headache, fatigue, palpitations, chest pain, asthenia, tremor, edema, GI upset, new or exacerbated arrhythmias, heart failure, cardiac arrest, conduction defects.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder