Generic Name and Formulations:
Flecainide acetate 50mg, 100mg+, 150mg+; tabs; +scored.
Medicis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for TAMBOCOR:
Documented, life-threatening ventricular arrhythmias. Paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardias (PSVT), paroxysmal atrial fibrillation/flutter (PAF) in patients without structural heart disease.
Sustained ventricular tachycardia: Initiate in hospital; initially 100mg every 12 hrs; may increase by 50mg twice daily at 4 day intervals; max 400mg/day. PSVT or PAF: 50mg every 12 hrs; may increase by 50mg twice daily at 4 day intervals; max 300mg daily. CrCl ≤35mL/min per 1.73m2: Initially 100mg once daily or 50mg every 12hrs.
<18yrs: not established.
2nd- or 3rd-degree AV block or right bundle branch block associated with left hemiblock, unless paced. Cardiogenic shock. Recent MI.
Mortality. Ventricular pro-arrhythmic effects in patients with atrial fibrillation/flutter.
Verify benefits outweigh risks; see full labeling. Increased risk of pro-arrhythmic effects. Chronic atrial fibrillation: not recommended. History of CHF or myocardial dysfunction. Sick sinus syndrome. Pacemaker patients. Correct potassium imbalances before use. Severe renal or hepatic impairment, concomitant amiodarone or reduced myocardial function: monitor plasma level. Discontinue if heart block occurs unless paced. Discontinue if liver dysfunction, blood dyscrasias occur. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Class IC antiarrhythmic.
Increased digoxin toxicity. May potentiate negative inotropic effects of β-blockers. Potentiated by cimetidine. Antagonized by phenytoin, phenobarbital, carbamazepine. Avoid disopyramide, verapamil, nifedipine, diltiazem, other negative inotropics. ½ dose when given with amiodarone.
Dizziness, visual disturbances, dyspnea, headache, fatigue, palpitations, chest pain, asthenia, tremor, edema, GI upset, new or exacerbated arrhythmias, heart failure, cardiac arrest, conduction defects.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age