Generic Name and Formulations:
Cimetidine 300mg, 400mg; tabs.
Prestige Brands, Inc.
Indications for TAGAMET:
Active duodenal or benign gastric ulcer. Maintenance of healed duodenal ulcers. Pathological hypersecretory conditions (eg, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome). GERD.
Active duodenal ulcer: 800mg at bedtime for 4–8 weeks. Maintenance: 400mg at bedtime. Active benign gastric ulcer: 800mg at bedtime or 300mg 4 times daily with meals and at bedtime for 6 weeks. Hypersecretory conditions: 300mg 4 times daily with meals and at bedtime; max 2.4g/day. GERD: 800mg 2 times daily or 400mg 4 times daily for max 12 weeks; see full labeling. For difficult to heal ulcers: see full labeling.
<16 yrs: not recommended; see full labeling. Doses of 20–40mg/kg per day have been used.
Impaired renal or hepatic function. Elderly. Debilitated. Immunocompromised. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid antacids within 1 hour of dosing. May potentiate anticoagulants, phenytoin, theophylline, lidocaine, and others (see literature) by inhibition of hepatic microsomal enzymes. May alter absorption of drugs affected by gastric pH (e.g., ketoconazole), give 2 hours before cimetidine.
Headache, diarrhea, dizziness, somnolence, CNS disturbances, gynecomastia, rash (maybe serious eg, Stevens-Johnson syndrome); rare: arthralgia, myalgia, blood dyscrasias, nephritis, increased serum transaminases, pancreatitis, bradycardia, tachycardia; increased risk of community-acquired pneumonia (see literature).
Tabs 300mg—100; 400mg—60
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age