Generic Name and Formulations:
Cimetidine 300mg, 400mg; tabs.
Prestige Brands, Inc.
Indications for TAGAMET:
Active duodenal or benign gastric ulcer. Maintenance of healed duodenal ulcers. Pathological hypersecretory conditions (eg, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome). GERD.
Active duodenal ulcer: 800mg at bedtime for 4–8 weeks. Maintenance: 400mg at bedtime. Active benign gastric ulcer: 800mg at bedtime or 300mg 4 times daily with meals and at bedtime for 6 weeks. Hypersecretory conditions: 300mg 4 times daily with meals and at bedtime; max 2.4g/day. GERD: 800mg 2 times daily or 400mg 4 times daily for max 12 weeks; see full labeling. For difficult to heal ulcers: see full labeling.
<16 yrs: not recommended; see full labeling. Doses of 20–40mg/kg per day have been used.
Impaired renal or hepatic function. Elderly. Debilitated. Immunocompromised. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid antacids within 1 hour of dosing. May potentiate anticoagulants, phenytoin, theophylline, lidocaine, and others (see literature) by inhibition of hepatic microsomal enzymes. May alter absorption of drugs affected by gastric pH (e.g., ketoconazole), give 2 hours before cimetidine.
Headache, diarrhea, dizziness, somnolence, CNS disturbances, gynecomastia, rash (maybe serious eg, Stevens-Johnson syndrome); rare: arthralgia, myalgia, blood dyscrasias, nephritis, increased serum transaminases, pancreatitis, bradycardia, tachycardia; increased risk of community-acquired pneumonia (see literature).
Tabs 300mg—100; 400mg—60
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Predicting Treatment-Emergent Mania to Tailor Pharmacotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- Prevalence of Major Depressive Disorder Remains High In US Population
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Suicide Risk After Self-Harm Among Adolescents, Young Adults
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Safety, Efficacy of Deep Brain Stimulation for Alzheimer's
- Many Teens Who Use Tobacco Don't Self-Identify as Users
- Evidence of Methylphenidate Abuse: Characterizing Patterns of Use in Pediatric and Adult Populations