Generic Name and Formulations:
Thioguanine 40mg; tabs; scored.
Indications for TABLOID:
Remission induction and remission consolidation treatment of acute nonlymphocytic leukemias. Treatment of the chronic phase of chronic myelogenous leukemia (see literature).
Adults and Children:
See literature. Initially, 2mg/kg per day. If, after 4 weeks, with no improvement, no leukocyte or platelet depression, may increase to 3mg/kg per day. Total daily dose may be given at one time.
Allergy to mercaptopurine.
Not recommended for maintenance therapy or long-term continuous treatments; increased risk of liver toxicity (discontinue if occurs). Pre-existing liver disease. Monitor liver function tests weekly at start of therapy, then monthly thereafter. Thiopurine methyltransferase (TPMT) enzyme deficiency (may need to reduce dose to avoid severe bone marrow suppression); consider testing for TPMT deficiency. Obtain hemoglobin, hematocrit, WBCs with differential, platelets frequently during therapy. Pregnancy (Cat.D); avoid use. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid live vaccines (if immunocompromised). Caution with drugs that inhibit TPMT (eg, olsalazine, mesalazine, or sulphasalazine).
Myelosuppression, hyperuricemia, GI upset, anorexia, stomatitis, hepatotoxicity, elevated liver enzymes, jaundice (discontinue if occurs).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Supported Employment vs Transitional Work in Veterans With PTSD
- Comparing Pharmacologic Treatments for Prevention of Rehospitalization in BP
- Preliminary Evidence Suggests Suicidal Thinking Is Self-Reinforcing
- Lower Fluoxetine Efficacy in Elderly Patients With Major Depressive Disorder
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling