Generic Name and Formulations:
Thioguanine 40mg; tabs; scored.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Thioguanine:
Remission induction and remission consolidation treatment of acute nonlymphocytic leukemias. Treatment of the chronic phase of chronic myelogenous leukemia (see full labeling).
Adults and Children:
See full labeling. Initially, 2mg/kg per day. If, after 4 weeks, with no improvement, no leukocyte or platelet depression, may increase to 3mg/kg per day. Total daily dose may be given at one time.
Allergy to mercaptopurine.
Not recommended for maintenance therapy or long-term continuous treatments; increased risk of liver toxicity (discontinue if occurs). Pre-existing liver disease. Monitor liver function tests weekly at start of therapy, then monthly thereafter. Thiopurine S-methyltransferase (TPMT) or nucleotide diphosphatase (NUDT15) deficiency (may need to reduce dose to avoid severe bone marrow suppression); consider testing for TPMT and NUDT15 deficiency. Obtain hemoglobin, hematocrit, WBCs with differential, platelets frequently during therapy. Pregnancy (Cat.D); avoid use. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid live vaccines (if immunocompromised). Caution with drugs that inhibit TPMT (eg, olsalazine, mesalazine, or sulphasalazine).
Myelosuppression, hyperuricemia, GI upset, anorexia, stomatitis, hepatotoxicity, elevated liver enzymes, jaundice (discontinue if occurs).
Formerly known under the brand name Tabloid.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder
- How Personalized Hospital Ratings May Drive Patient-Specific Care in the Digital Age