Generic Name and Formulations:
Empagliflozin, metformin HCl; 5mg/500mg, 12.5mg/500mg, 5mg/1000mg, 12.5mg/1000mg; tabs.
Boehringer Ingelheim and Lilly
Indications for SYNJARDY:
Adjunct to diet and exercise to improve glycemic control in adults with type 2 diabetes when treatment with both empagliflozin and metformin is appropriate.
Limitations Of use:
Not for treating type 1 diabetes or diabetic ketoacidosis.
See full labeling. Individualize. Take twice daily with meals; increase dose gradually. Max daily dose: 25mg/2000mg.
<18yrs: not established.
Moderate to severe renal impairment (eGFR <45mL/min/1.73m2), ESRD, or on dialysis. Metabolic acidosis, diabetic ketoacidosis.
Increased risk of metformin-associated lactic acidosis in renal or hepatic impairment, concomitant use of certain drugs (eg, cationic drugs), ≥65yrs of age, undergoing radiological contrast study, surgery and other procedures, hypoxic states, and excessive alcohol intake; discontinue if lactic acidosis occurs. Discontinue at time of, or prior to intravascular iodinated contrast imaging in patients with eGFR 45–60mL/min/1.73m2, history of hepatic impairment, alcoholism, heart failure, or will be given intra-arterial contrast; reevaluate eGFR 48hrs after procedure and restart therapy if renally stable. Correct volume depletion before initiating. Monitor for symptomatic hypotension in renal impairment, elderly, low systolic BP, or those on diuretics. Assess for ketoacidosis in presence of signs/symptoms of metabolic acidosis, regardless of blood glucose levels; discontinue if suspected, evaluate and treat; consider risk factors before initiation (eg, pancreatic insulin deficiency, caloric restriction, alcohol abuse). Assess renal function prior to starting and monitor periodically thereafter; more frequently in elderly or if eGFR <60mL/min/1.73m2. Risk of acute kidney injury in hypovolemia, chronic renal insufficiency, CHF, and concomitant drugs (eg, diuretics, ACEIs, ARBs, NSAIDs). Consider temporarily discontinuing in reduced oral intake or fluid losses; monitor for acute kidney injury; discontinue and treat if occurs. Elderly, debilitated, uncompensated strenuous exercise, malnourished or deficient caloric intake, adrenal or pituitary insufficiency, or alcohol intoxication: increased risk of hypoglycemia. Monitor for genital mycotic infections, UTIs, hematology (esp. serum Vit. B12), increases in LDL-C; treat if needed. Pregnancy (during 2nd & 3rd trimesters), nursing mothers: not recommended.
Increased risk of lactic acidosis with topiramate, other carbonic anhydrase inhibitors (eg, zonisamide, acetazolamide, dichlorphenamide); monitor. Concomitant cationic drugs that interfere with renal tubular transport systems (eg, ranolazine, vandetanib, dolutegravir, cimetidine) may increase metformin levels; monitor. Avoid excessive alcohol. Diuretics, steroids, phenothiazines, thyroid products, estrogens, oral contraceptives, phenytoin, sympathomimetics, nicotinic acid, CCBs, and isoniazid may cause hyperglycemia. Greater potential for volume depletion with concomitant diuretics. Consider a lower dose of concomitant insulin or insulin secretagogue to reduce risk of hypoglycemia. β-blockers may mask hypoglycemia. May cause false (+) urine glucose tests or unreliable measurements of 1, 5-AG assay; use alternative methods to monitor glycemic control.
Sodium-glucose co-transporter 2 (SGLT2) inhibitor + biguanide.
UTIs, female genital mycotic infections, diarrhea, nausea/vomiting, flatulence, abdominal discomfort, indigestion, asthenia, headache; lactic acidosis (rare), hypotension, ketoacidosis, renal impairment, urosepsis, pyelonephritis.
Tabs—60, 180; XR tabs 5mg/1000mg, 12.5mg/1000mg—60, 180; 10mg/1000mg, 25mg/1000mg—30, 90
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Retirement Saving Behavior Associated With Psychological Distress
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Enhanced Vaccination Effectiveness in Older Adults Linked to Positive Mood
- Subjective Cognitive Decline Linked to Alzheimer Biomarker
- Unnecessary Costs Associated With Low-Cost, Low-Value Health Services
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?