Generic Name and Formulations:
Naldemedine 0.2mg; tabs.
RECENT UPDATESMonograph added.
Indications for SYMPROIC:
Opioid-induced constipation in adults with chronic non-cancer pain, including chronic pain related to prior cancer or its treatment in patients who do not require frequent opioid dosage escalation.
Take with or without food. 0.2mg once daily. Discontinue if opioid pain therapy is also discontinued.
Known or suspected GI obstruction. Patients at increased risk of recurrent obstruction.
Risk of GI perforation in those with conditions associated with reduction in structural integrity of the GI tract wall (eg, peptic ulcer disease, Ogilvie’s syndrome, diverticular disease, infiltrative GI tract malignancies, or peritoneal metastases). Monitor for abdominal pain; discontinue if severe symptoms occur. Monitor for symptoms of opioid withdrawal (esp. patients having disruptions to the blood brain barrier). Severe hepatic impairment (Child-Pugh Class C): avoid. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: not recommended (during and for 3 days after final dose).
Avoid concomitant strong CYP3A inducers (eg, rifampin, carbamazepine, phenytoin, St. John’s Wort) or other opioid antagonists. Potentiated by moderate (eg, fluconazole, atazanavir, aprepitant, diltiazem, erythromycin) and strong CYP3A inhibitors (eg, itraconazole, ketoconazole, clarithromycin, ritonavir, saquinavir), or P-gp inhibitors (eg, amiodarone, captopril, cyclosporine, quercetin, quinidine, verapamil); monitor.
Opioid antagonist (peripheral).
Abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, gastroenteritis; GI perforation, opioid withdrawal.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder