Generic Name and Formulations:
Naldemedine 0.2mg; tabs.
Indications for SYMPROIC:
Opioid-induced constipation in adults with chronic non-cancer pain, including patients with chronic pain related to prior cancer or its treatment who do not require frequent (eg, weekly) opioid dosage escalation.
Take with or without food. 0.2mg once daily. Discontinue if opioid pain therapy is also discontinued.
Known or suspected GI obstruction. Patients at increased risk of recurrent obstruction.
Risk of GI perforation in those with conditions associated with reduction in structural integrity of the GI tract wall (eg, peptic ulcer disease, Ogilvie’s syndrome, diverticular disease, infiltrative GI tract malignancies, or peritoneal metastases). Monitor for abdominal pain; discontinue if severe, persistent, or worsening symptoms occur. Monitor for symptoms of opioid withdrawal (esp. patients having disruptions to the blood brain barrier). Severe hepatic impairment (Child-Pugh Class C): avoid. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: not recommended (during and for 3 days after final dose).
Opioid antagonist (peripheral).
Avoid concomitant strong CYP3A inducers (eg, rifampin, carbamazepine, phenytoin, St. John’s Wort) or other opioid antagonists. Potentiated by moderate (eg, fluconazole, atazanavir, aprepitant, diltiazem, erythromycin) and strong CYP3A inhibitors (eg, itraconazole, ketoconazole, clarithromycin, ritonavir, saquinavir), or P-gp inhibitors (eg, amiodarone, captopril, cyclosporine, quercetin, quinidine, verapamil); monitor.
Abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, gastroenteritis; opioid withdrawal.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Lithium Monotherapy Effective in Treating Bipolar Disorder in Children
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Increasing Among US Children and Adolescents
- Cost-Effective Telehealth Alternatives for Veterans With Depression
- Polygenic Risk Scores Could Aid in Identifying Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses