Generic Name and Formulations:
Beractant (as phospholipids) 25mg/mL; susp for intratracheal administration; preservative-free.
Indications for SURVANTA:
Prevention and treatment of respiratory distress syndrome (RDS) in premature infants.
See literature for dosing chart, administration, and additional support procedures. 100mg of phospholipids (4mL)/kg birth weight per dose, by intratracheal administration; max 4 doses, at 6-hr intervals in the first 48hrs after birth. Rescue: give 1st dose as soon as possible after infant is placed on mechanical ventilation for treatment of RDS. Prevention: give 1st dose as soon as possible after birth, preferably within 15 mins. Avoid suctioning for 1 hour after treatment, unless significant airway obstruction occurs. Retreatment is determined by continued respiratory distress. Get radiographic confirmation of RDS in those infants given preventative dose before giving additional doses.
Interrupt dosing if bradycardia or oxygen desaturation occurs; treat; resume after stabilization. Monitor oxygenation, carbon dioxide, and clinical condition frequently and carefully.
Dosing procedure reactions including oxygen desaturation and bradycardia, rales, moist breath sounds, sepsis, intracranial hemorrhage.
Vials (4mL, 8mL)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Triiodothyronine in the Treatment of Bipolar Depression
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Intranasal Oxytocin Reduces Negative Effects, Improves Cognitive Function in Schizophrenia
- E-Cigarettes Associated With More Harms Than Benefits at Population Level
- Examining Rates of Long-Term Opioid Use in Youth With Psychiatric Disorders
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Researchers Identify Novel Potential Biomarkers for Autism
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Supported Employment vs Transitional Work in Veterans With PTSD
- Comparing Pharmacologic Treatments for Prevention of Rehospitalization in BP
- Preliminary Evidence Suggests Suicidal Thinking Is Self-Reinforcing
- Lower Fluoxetine Efficacy in Elderly Patients With Major Depressive Disorder
- Personal Health Information Found in Recycling