Generic Name and Formulations:
Sodium sulfate 17.5g, potassium sulfate 3.13g, magnesium sulfate 1.6g; per 6oz of soln.
Braintree Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for SUPREP:
Bowel cleansing before colonoscopy.
Start the evening before colonoscopy: dilute 1 bottle to 16oz with water and drink entire amount. Drink 32oz of water over the next hour. Next morning: repeat using the second bottle. Complete prep at least 2hrs before colonoscopy.
GI obstruction or perforation. Gastric retention. Toxic colitis. Toxic megacolon. Ileus.
Maintain adequate hydration. Correct electrolyte abnormalities before use. Renal impairment; monitor baseline and post-colonoscopy electrolytes, creatinine, BUN. History of QT prolongation, uncontrolled arrhythmias, recent MI, unstable angina, CHF, or cardiomyopathy: increased risk of arrhythmias; consider ECGs at pre-dose and post-colonoscopy. Gout. Seizure. Inflammatory bowel disease. Severe ulcerative colitis. Impaired gag reflex. Risk of regurgitation or aspiration. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant diuretics, ACE inhibitors, ARBs, NSAIDs; may affect renal function. Drugs that may lower the seizure threshold (eg, tricyclic antidepressants), alcohol or benzodiazepine withdrawal, known or suspected hyponatremia: may increase risk of seizures. Caution with drugs that may increase risk of electrolyte abnormalities, arrhythmias or QT prolongation. Drugs administered within 1 hour of start of Suprep may not be absorbed.
Overall discomfort, abdominal distention and pain, nausea, vomiting; transient elevated uric acid, mucosal ulcerations and ischemic colitis.
Bowel prep kit—1 (2 x 6oz bottles of soln w. mixing container)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders