Generic Name and Formulations:
Sodium sulfate 17.5g, potassium sulfate 3.13g, magnesium sulfate 1.6g; per 6oz of soln.
Braintree Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for SUPREP:
Bowel cleansing before colonoscopy.
Start the evening before colonoscopy: dilute 1 bottle to 16oz with water and drink entire amount. Drink 32oz of water over the next hour. Next morning: repeat using the second bottle. Complete prep at least 2hrs before colonoscopy.
GI obstruction or perforation. Gastric retention. Toxic colitis. Toxic megacolon. Ileus.
Maintain adequate hydration. Correct electrolyte abnormalities before use. Renal impairment; monitor baseline and post-colonoscopy electrolytes, creatinine, BUN. History of QT prolongation, uncontrolled arrhythmias, recent MI, unstable angina, CHF, or cardiomyopathy: increased risk of arrhythmias; consider ECGs at pre-dose and post-colonoscopy. Gout. Seizure. Inflammatory bowel disease. Severe ulcerative colitis. Impaired gag reflex. Risk of regurgitation or aspiration. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant diuretics, ACE inhibitors, ARBs, NSAIDs; may affect renal function. Drugs that may lower the seizure threshold (eg, tricyclic antidepressants), alcohol or benzodiazepine withdrawal, known or suspected hyponatremia: may increase risk of seizures. Caution with drugs that may increase risk of electrolyte abnormalities, arrhythmias or QT prolongation. Drugs administered within 1 hour of start of Suprep may not be absorbed.
Overall discomfort, abdominal distention and pain, nausea, vomiting; transient elevated uric acid, mucosal ulcerations and ischemic colitis.
Bowel prep kit—1 (2 x 6oz bottles of soln w. mixing container)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Computerized Training Programs for Schizophrenia Improve Cognitive Functioning
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy May Alter Suicidal Ideation in Anxiety Disorders
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder Increasing Among US Children and Adolescents
- Cost-Effective Telehealth Alternatives for Veterans With Depression
- Polygenic Risk Scores Could Aid in Identifying Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia
- Brief Impression Questionnaire Useful in Schizophrenia Diagnoses