Generic Name and Formulations:
Sulindac 150mg, 200mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Sulindac:
Rheumatoid arthritis. Osteoarthritis. Ankylosing spondylitis. Acute painful shoulder. Acute gouty arthritis.
Take with food. 150mg twice daily. Acute painful shoulder or gouty arthritis: 200mg twice daily, usually for 7–14 days. All: max 400mg/day.
Aspirin allergy. Coronary artery bypass graft surgery.
Advanced renal disease: not recommended. Active or history of GI bleeding, peptic ulcer, or kidney stones. Heart failure. Impaired renal or hepatic function. Edema. Hypertension. Bleeding disorders. Sepsis. Diabetes. Preexisting asthma. Maintain adequate hydration. Monitor blood, hepatic, renal, and ocular function in chronic use. Discontinue if unexplained fever, pancreatitis, or liver dysfunction occurs. Systemic lupus erythematosus and mixed connective tissue disease. Elderly. Debilitated. Pregnancy (Cat.C); avoid in late pregnancy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
NSAID (indene deriv.).
Increased risk of GI toxicity with aspirin, other NSAIDs, alcohol, smoking. Probenecid increases serum levels. Diflunisal reduces serum levels. Antagonized by, and peripheral neuropathy with, DMSO. Monitor anticoagulants, antihyperglycemics. Caution with methotrexate, cyclosporine, nephrotoxic drugs (increased toxicity). Increased serum lithium levels (monitor). May antagonize diuretics, ACE inhibitors, angiotensin II antagonists (monitor).
GI ulcer/bleeding/pain, dyspepsia, nausea, diarrhea, constipation, rash (discontinue if occurs), dizziness, headache, tinnitus, edema, nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, pancreatitis, jaundice, hepatitis. See literature re: risk of cardiovascular events.
Formerly known under the brand name Clinoril.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Link Identified Between Cured Meat and Mania in Bipolar Disorder
- Suicide Attempts Associated With Sleep and Circadian Rhythm Disturbances in Bipolar Disorder
- First-Episode Delusional Disorder vs Schizophrenia: Assessment of Outcomes
- Anatomical Patterns Present in Childhood ADHD May Predict Phenotypic Variation
- History of ADHD Associated With Increased Risk for Basal Ganglia and Cerebellum Disorders
- The Opioid System: The Foundation for Social Risk and Reward
- Correctional Psychiatry: Challenges and Rewards
- Those Left Behind: Working With Suicide-Bereaved Families
- The Impact of Deafness on Hallucinations and Delusions
- Is Mandatory Reporting of Child Maltreatment in the Best Interests of the Child?
- Institutional Rearing Associated With Psychopathology Risk in Children
- Perinatal Mood and Anxiety Screening: Recommendations and Controversies
- Few Seniors Who Self-Harm Referred for Mental Health Care
- Violent Video Games Tied to Physical Aggression
- Vortioxetine Beats Escitalopram in Improving SSRI-Induced Sexual Dysfunction