SULFAMYLON 5% TOPICAL SOLUTION Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Mafenide acetate 50g/packet; pwd for reconstitution (5% soln after mixing).
Indications for SULFAMYLON 5% TOPICAL SOLUTION:
Adjunct to control bacterial infection when used under moist dressings over meshed autografts on excised burn wounds.
Adults and Children:
<3months: not recommended. ≥3months: Cover grafted area with one layer of fine mesh gauze. Cut an eight-ply burn dressing to the size of graft, wet with solution using an irrigation syringe and/or tubing until noticeable leaking. Maintain moisture with irrigation tubing (see literature) or wet dressing every 6–8 hours as needed. May leave wound dressings undisturbed for up to 5 days, except when irrigating. Additional soaks may be initiated until graft take is complete. Continue treatment until autograft vascularization and healing is progressing (approx. 5 days). Individual grafting procedure: max 5 days. Withhold therapy for 24–48 hours if acidosis occurs.
G6PD deficiency. Sulfite sensitivity. Asthma. Acute renal failure. Monitor acid-base balance closely (esp. with extensive 2nd degree or partial thickness burns, pulmonary or renal impairment). Pregnancy (Cat.C); (crm: not recommended for women of childbearing potential; unless burn area >20% of total body surface). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Application-site pain, burning sensation, allergic manifestations (eg, rash, pruritus, facial edema, swelling, erythema; discontinue if occur), tachypnea, hyperventilation, metabolic acidosis; respiratory alkalosis, fatal hemolytic anemia with disseminated intravascular coagulation, fungal colonization; rare: excoriation of new skin, bleeding of skin.
Crm—2oz, 4oz, 16oz
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Panel Recommends Earlier Body Weight Monitoring in Use of Mood Stabilizers
- Nondaily Cigarette Use Increasing Among Individuals With Mental Health, Substance Use Disorders
- Cesarean Delivery, Early Childhood Antibiotic Use Not Associated With Risk for ADHD
- Uncertainty as a Form of Violence: Current Immigration Policy and Crisis
- FDA Gets Tough on Juul, Other Electronic Cigarette Makers