Generic Name and Formulations:
Sulfadiazine 500mg; tabs.
Indications for Sulfadiazine:
Susceptible infections including chancroid, trachoma, inclusion conjunctivitis, nocardiosis, UTI (secondary therapy), toxoplasmosis encephalitis, meningococcal meningitis, acute otitis media, rheumatic fever.
Initially 2–4g. Maintenance: 2–4g divided into 3–6 doses every 24 hours.
<2 months: see Contraindications. ≥2months: Initially ½ the 24-hour dose. Maintenance: 150mg/kg divided into 4–6 doses every 24 hours, max 6g/24hrs. Rheumatic fever prophylaxis: <30kg: 500mg every 24 hours; >30kg: 1g every 24 hours.
Infants <2 months of age (except as adjunctive therapy with pyrimethamine in the treatment of congenital toxoplasmosis). Pregnancy at term. Nursing mothers.
Do not use to treat group A betahemolytic streptococcal infections. Renal or hepatic impairment. Bronchial asthma. Severe allergy. G6PD deficiency. Maintain adequate hydration. Obtain CBCs and urinalyses frequently during therapy. Pregnancy (Cat.C).
May be potentiated by indomethacin, probenecid, salicylates. May potentiate oral anticoagulants, methotrexate, sulfonylureas, thiazide diuretics, uricosuric agents.
Blood dyscrasias, allergic reactions, GI upset, hepatitis, pancreatitis, stomatitis, headache, peripheral neuritis, depression, convulsions, ataxia, hallucinations, tinnitus, vertigo, insomnia, crystalluria, stone formation, toxic nephrosis, oliguria, anuria; rare: goiter production, diuresis, hypoglycemia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Nomophobia: The Modern-Day Pathology
- Emerging Theories in the Pathophysiology of MDD: Could the Opioid System Be Involved?
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Combination Cognitive Behavioral Therapy With Fluoxetine Effective for Adolescent Depression
- Prazosin May Be Effective as Treatment for Alcohol Use Disorder
- Cycle Patterns Associated With Treatment Response in Bipolar Disorders
- Text Message Reminders Improve Medication Adherence in Bipolar I Disorder
- Improving Medication Adherence in ADHD Lowers Risk for Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Conduct Disorder in Adulthood
- High Suicidality Among Children With ADHD Mediated by Family Functioning, Psychiatry Comorbidities
- Pilot Study Investigates Lithium vs Quetiapine for Bipolar Spectrum Disorder