Generic Name and Formulations:
Sulfadiazine 500mg; tabs.
Indications for Sulfadiazine:
Susceptible infections including chancroid, trachoma, inclusion conjunctivitis, nocardiosis, UTI (secondary therapy), toxoplasmosis encephalitis, meningococcal meningitis, acute otitis media, rheumatic fever.
Initially 2–4g. Maintenance: 2–4g divided into 3–6 doses every 24 hours.
<2 months: see Contraindications. ≥2months: Initially ½ the 24-hour dose. Maintenance: 150mg/kg divided into 4–6 doses every 24 hours, max 6g/24hrs. Rheumatic fever prophylaxis: <30kg: 500mg every 24 hours; >30kg: 1g every 24 hours.
Infants <2 months of age (except as adjunctive therapy with pyrimethamine in the treatment of congenital toxoplasmosis). Pregnancy at term. Nursing mothers.
Do not use to treat group A betahemolytic streptococcal infections. Renal or hepatic impairment. Bronchial asthma. Severe allergy. G6PD deficiency. Maintain adequate hydration. Obtain CBCs and urinalyses frequently during therapy. Pregnancy (Cat.C).
May be potentiated by indomethacin, probenecid, salicylates. May potentiate oral anticoagulants, methotrexate, sulfonylureas, thiazide diuretics, uricosuric agents.
Blood dyscrasias, allergic reactions, GI upset, hepatitis, pancreatitis, stomatitis, headache, peripheral neuritis, depression, convulsions, ataxia, hallucinations, tinnitus, vertigo, insomnia, crystalluria, stone formation, toxic nephrosis, oliguria, anuria; rare: goiter production, diuresis, hypoglycemia.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Hypertension Linked to an Increased Risk of Dementia?
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Maternal Glucocorticoid Exposure Not Associated With ADHD in Offspring
- Ketamine Not Associated With PTSD Development in Military Trauma Setting
- Content, Quality Issues for Both Paper-Based and Electronic Health Records