Sulfacetamide sodium + Prednisolone sodium phosphate Ophthalmic Solution Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Sulfacetamide sodium 100mg, prednisolone sodium phosphate 2.5mg; per mL; contains thimersol.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Sulfacetamide sodium + Prednisolone sodium phosphate Ophthalmic Solution:
For steroid-responsive inflammatory ocular conditions for which a corticosteroid is indicated and where bacterial infection or a risk of bacterial ocular infection exists.
Adults and Children:
<6yrs: not established. ≥6yrs: instill 2 drops in the eye(s) every 4 hours. Max initial ℞: 20mL.
Ocular fungal, viral or mycobacterial infections.
Do not inject into the eye. Corneal or scleral thinning. Severe dry eye. Glaucoma. Monitor IOP, and for secondary infections in prolonged use. Discontinue if sensitization reaction occurs. Reevaluate if symptoms fail to improve after two days. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Incompatible with silver preparations. Local anesthetics related to p-aminobenzoic acid may antagonize the action of sulfonamide.
Antibacterial + steroid.
Local irritation, sensitization, masks infection, delays healing; in prolonged use: increased IOP, cataracts, corneal perforation, optic nerve damage.
Formerly known under the brand name Vasocidin.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ADHD, Comorbid Bipolar Disorder Share Similar Neurocognitive Profiles
- Anxiety Prevention Interventions: How Effective Are They?
- Antidepressant Use and Dementia Risk in the Elderly
- No Evidence of Personality Changes Prior to Developing Cognitive Impairment, Dementia
- Sleep Apnea Implant Device Receives FDA Approval
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Physicians Spend Nearly 6 Hours on EHR Tasks Per Day
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Maternal Glucocorticoid Exposure Not Associated With ADHD in Offspring
- Duration of Untreated Depression Predicts Depression Severity
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Cognitive Dysfunction a Sign of Prodromal Parkinson Disease
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding