Suicide And Self-Harm
Suicide attempts were shown to increase in the summer and during periods of warmer temperatures in people age 15 to 25.
Suicide-related behavior was not found to be linked with epilepsy status or AEDs.
Suicide attempts are more likely to occur in younger, socioeconomically disadvantaged adults.
Comorbid anxiety disorders among patients with depression or bipolar disorder were not associated with suicide attempts.
Many adults in the US do not believe that guns in the house increase the risk of suicide.
Lithium is the only medication to demonstrate an antisuicidal effect over and above its action on mood episodes in bipolar disorder.
The number of suicide attempts has risen in younger adults with less formal education and with mental illness.
Research has shown psychotic experiences to be associated with subsequent suicidal thoughts and behaviors, particularly in children younger than 12.
There does not appear to be a causal association between methylphenidate hydrochloride treatment for ADHD and suicide attempts.
The Netflix show 13 Reasons Why, brought up concerns that viewers may be inspired to act on suicidal thoughts.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- FOSTA-SESTA Threatens Sex Worker Livelihoods: What Mental Health Providers Should Know
- Psychotic Experiences Associated With Increased Risk for Eating Disorders in Adolescents
- Younger Gestational Age Associated With Symptoms of ADHD in Children
- Strong Social Networks May Mitigate the Effects of Childhood Adversity
- Suicidal Behavior More Likely in Depression, Bipolar Disorder With Mixed Features
- Medical Clearance of Psych Patients in the ED: Consensus Recommendations
- From Abused Child to Serial Killer: Investigating Nature vs Nurture in Methods of Murder
- Managing Comorbid Migraine and Mood Disorders: A Synergistic Approach
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy Effective in Reducing Suicide Attempts, Self-Harm in Adolescents
- Novel Parent-Child Interaction Therapy Targets Preschool-Aged Depression
- Early Treatment for Depression in Bereaved Youth Improves Future Psychiatric Health
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Symptoms Reduced With Virtual Reality Therapy
- Wellness Vacations Bring a Healthy Lifestyle to the Forefront of Travel
- The Harmful Application of HIPAA: How to Protect Privacy and Patient Care
- Gender Bias in Medicine Has Far-Reaching Consequences