Suicide & Self-Harm
These results indicate the need for thorough preoperative psychiatric history assessment in patients considering bariatric surgery, as well as postoperative surveillance.
Screening for childhood mistreatment can assess the risk for nonsuicidal self-injury.
The use of lithium is underused for treating mood disorders.
Perfectionist tendencies are positively associated with suicide attempts and ideation.
Frequent cannabis use was shown to be associated with an increased risk of major depressive disorder and suicidal ideation.
NRX-100 followed by NRX-101 has been granted Fast Track status by the Food and Drug Administration.
Young adults with diseases such as asthma, are 4 times more likely to attempt suicide.
Ketamine can provide acute benefits for treatment-resistant depression, bipolar depression, and major depressive disorder with suicidal ideation.
Teens suffering from depression are more likely to say they are "stressed" or "anxious" or "down."
A brief screening tool can identify patients at risk for suicide without significantly interrupting the flow of acute care.
Suicide attempts and sleep in adults are associated with Internet addiction.
Borderline personality disorder symptoms, self-harm, and suicide were effectively reduced by psychotherapy treatment.
States with universal background checks experienced a decrease in suicides between 2013 and 2014.
Prevention of repeated suicide attempts was most effective with prompt recontact of patients.
The suicide of a spouse can lead to an increased risk for mental disorders and certain medical conditions.
A new agent would be the first oral treatment for suicidal behavior in patients with bipolar depression.
Adult males who used 5 alpha-reductase inhibitors exhibited an increased risk of self-harm did increase.
Family-based crisis intervention for suicidal teenagers led to higher levels of satisfaction and greater feelings of family empowerment.
The highest suicide rates were among 35- to 64-year-olds, and people 75 and older.
Schizophrenia was associated with 13 to 15 years of potential life lost.
Older men with multiple health comorbidities have the highest suicide risk.
Factors such as shame and stigma impede the dialogue about mental illness across cultures.
Individuals who seek HIV testing could potentially constitute a group at higher risk for suicide than the general population.
Behavioral symptoms strongly linked to suicidal ideation included depression, irritability, aggression, and impulsivity.
Hundreds of active pilots manage depressive symptoms without the possibility of treatment due to fear of negative career impact.
High levels of stress and responsibility lead to greater prevalence of depression and suicidal ideation in medical students.
The prevalence of acute coronary syndrome was significantly higher among those who committed suicide than with healthy individuals.
Self-harm has been the leading cause of pregnancy-related deaths in Colorado between 2004 and 2012.
There is a clear need for methods to help identify individuals at risk of suicide, and certain biomarkers could aid in such efforts.
Incidence rate ratios were more increased for parental diagnoses of antisocial personality, cannabis use, and parental suicide attempt.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Efficacy of Drugs for Psychosis, Relapse Prevention for Bipolar Depression, Mania
- Cost-Effectiveness of Atomoxetine for Treating Children with ADHD
- No Evidence of Cognitive Impairment With Lisdexamfetamine Dimesylate in ADHD
- Differential Testosterone Levels in Men, Women With Schizophrenia
- Plasma Autoantibodies Possible Biomarker for Schizophrenia
- Substance-Induced Psychosis Associated With Development of Schizophrenia, Bipolar Disorder
- Neuropsychiatric Events May Be Linked to Nitrated Nucleosome Levels in Lupus
- New APA Guideline Recommendation for Treatment of Alcohol Use Disorder
- Reducing PTSD Symptoms: Propranolol Before Reactivation Therapy
- Cannabis Use Associated With Subsequent Psychotic Experiences in Adolescents
- Intervention Improves Quality of Life, Agitation in Nursing Home Patients With Dementia
- Cognitive Enhancement Therapy Beneficial for Neurocognitive Function in Autism
- The Crisis of Physician Suicides: Past and Present
- Affective Temperaments in Bipolar Have a Significant Impact on Functional, Clinical Outcomes of Mania
- Ketamine: A Promising Agent for Managing Treatment-Resistant Depression