Substance Use Disorder
Frequent cannabis users experience more pain and negative affects than less- frequent users.
Adolescents don't realize that Adderall is an amphetamine.
The public is able to dispose of unwanted prescription drugs thanks to the DEA.
Once a month Vivitrol was found to be non-inferior to daily buprenorphine-naloxone for preventing relapse to opioid dependence.
The update reflects a change in the language within the opinion as well as the addition of recent research focused on marijuana use.
Patient behavior is affected with factors associated with readmission in THA patients.
Opioids prescribed after surgery are often unused and improperly disposed of.
Medically supervised withdrawal can be used as a therapy for pregnant women addicted to opioids.
Cannabis users experience negative consequences, including motor vehicle accidents, emergency room visits, and addiction.
Few current treatments currently target PTSD and substance use disorder at the same time.
Diabetes mellitus (DM) appears to be more prevalent in the psychiatric setting than in the general population.
Children with celiac disease are at a 1.4-fold increased risk for psychiatric disorders.
Substance use disorder is a treatable, chronic medical condition.
The risks and benefits of removing or reducing criminal penalties for nonviolent offenses involving illicit drugs should be assessed.
Patients with HCV may be especially appropriate for nonpharmacological interventions for chronic pain and SUD.
Autism is a heritable neurodevelopmental disorder that is approximately 4 times more prevalent in males than females.
In America, deaths associated with opioid use increased more than five-fold over the past 25 years.
CDC rank alcohol-attributable mortality as the third leading cause of preventable death in the United States.
No application is currently available to connect carriers of naloxone with nearby opioid overdose victims.
Both medical and non-medical use of prescription opioid medications is associated with a higher risk for transitioning to heroin use.
One topic of criticism is the relative dearth of scientific evidence regarding the efficacy of 12-step programs.
According to the most recent available data, 14% of Americans have tried cocaine, and 0.6% (1.5 million individuals aged 12 or older) had used it in the past month.
Treatment of opioid addiction and preventing overdose deaths
Fewer people believe marijuana is harmful.
Compared with men, women diagnosed with AUD have higher rates of premature death due to alcohol abuse.
Basic Research Findings for the Practicing Clinician
In order clarify the abuse potential of modafinil, investigators characterized its psychostimulant profile by using mice.
Opioid-related disorders are an emerging public health concern globally and in the United States.
Δ9-Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is the main psychoactive chemical ingredient in cannabis.
These findings are important, as CDC rank alcohol-attributable mortality as the third leading cause of preventable death in the United States.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Family History of Psychiatric Disorders an Important Predictor of Postpartum Psychiatric Illness
- New APA President Takes Office as the First African-American to Lead the Organization
- MDMA-Assisted Psychotherapy Effective for Treating PTSD in Veterans, First Responders
- Antidepressant Use May Be Linked With Sustained Risk for Weight Gain
- Early Intervention Services Superior to Treatment as Usual for Early-Phase Psychosis
- Video Games and Exercise as Alternative Therapies for ADHD
- How Parents Can Enhance Autism Treatment: Use of Intervention Strategies at Home
- Electroconvulsive Therapy Effective in Children With Autism
- The Cutting Edge of Schizophrenia Research: VR as Treatment for Psychosis
- Cannabidiol Not Associated With Improvement in Chronic Schizophrenia
- New Dimensions in Psychopathy: Are There Cultural Differences in Psychopaths?
- Addressing Psychiatric Comorbidities in Inflammatory Rheumatic Diseases
- Exploring the Link Between Persistent Infection, Inflammation, and Mood Disorders
- CDC: No Change in Level of Uninsured in US in 2017
- Benefit of Behavioral Activation During TMS for Major Depressive Disorder