Extended-release naltrexone maintained abstinence from heroin and other illicit substances.
Firearm violence disproportionately affects adolescents in minority populations in large US cities.
Researchers found only 1 percent of patients prescribed medication still took opioids one year after hospital discharge.
Acute exposure to ethanol led to antidepressant and anxiolytic behaviors in rodents for up to 24 hours.
Researchers find heavy users have lower bone density than cigarette smokers.
Autism is a heritable neurodevelopmental disorder that is approximately 4 times more prevalent in males than females.
Cigarette smoking prevalence among persons with severe mental illness is approximately 3 times greater than the rate observed in the general population.
In America, deaths associated with opioid use increased more than five-fold over the past 25 years.
CDC rank alcohol-attributable mortality as the third leading cause of preventable death in the United States.
More than 6 million Americans older than 12 had illegally used prescription medications in the previous month.
No application is currently available to connect carriers of naloxone with nearby opioid overdose victims.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Age of Onset of Bipolar Disorder Linked With Substance Use Disorders
- Rapid Cycling in Bipolar Disorder: Overview and Expert Perspectives
- Low Testosterone Linked With Social Anxiety in Boys With Klinefelter Syndrome
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Associated With Reduced Brain Volume
- First-Episode Drug-Naive Patients With Schizophrenia More Likely to Attempt Suicide
- The Psychology of Hoarding Disorder: Approaches for Treatment
- Mind-Body Therapy and Psychiatry: Ancient Tools for Modern Practice
- Smartphone Applications for Depression and Anxiety: Are They Ready for Widespread Use?
- The Many Misconceptions of Catatonia: Treatment Is Often Successful With the Right Knowledge
- Marijuana Use Associated With Poorer Depression Outcomes, Increased Suicidal Ideation
- Healthcare Community Should Favor More Restrictive Alcohol Policies
- How to Respond to a Patient's Request for Prayer: A Clinician's Dilemma
- Major Barriers to Useful Risk Prediction Must Be Overcome to Reach the Full Potential of Big Data
- ACA Coverage Gains Include Workers Without Insurance
- Steps Provided for Discharging Patients From Practice