Generic Name and Formulations:
Desmopressin acetate 150mcg/spray; soln for nasal spray.
CSL Behring, LLC
Indications for STIMATE:
To maintain hemostasis or to stop bleeding in Hemophilia A and mild-to-moderate Type I von Willebrand Disease (VWD), each with Factor VIII levels >5%.
Adults and Children:
<11months: not recommended. Give test dose prior to initiating therapy. >11months: <50kg: 1 spray in one nostril (150mcg). ≥50kg: 1 spray per nostril (300mcg). May repeat dose based on clinical response. Pre-op: give 2hrs prior to procedure. Repeated administration before 48 hrs associated with tachyphylaxis.
Not for treating Type IIb VWD, or severe VWD with abnormal molecular form of Factor VIII antigen. Adjust fluid intake downward (esp in children and elderly) to reduce risk of water intoxication, hyponatremia. Monitor fluid intake, plasma osmolality. Fluid and electrolyte imbalances (eg, cystic fibrosis). Coronary artery disease. Hypertension. Predisposition to thrombosis. Unreliable absorption if altered nasal mucosa (eg, scarring, edema); discontinue until resolved. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Caution with other pressor agents (monitor).
Headache, nausea, abdominal cramps, vulval pain, facial flushing, local reactions, sore throat, water intoxication, hyponatremia; rare: BP changes, severe allergic reactions, thrombotic events.
Spray Pump—2.5mL (25 sprays)
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder