Generic Name and Formulations:
Desmopressin acetate 150mcg/spray; soln for nasal spray.
CSL Behring, LLC
Indications for STIMATE:
To maintain hemostasis or to stop bleeding in Hemophilia A and mild-to-moderate Type I von Willebrand Disease (VWD), each with Factor VIII levels >5%.
Adults and Children:
<11months: not recommended. Give test dose prior to initiating therapy. >11months: <50kg: 1 spray in one nostril (150mcg). ≥50kg: 1 spray per nostril (300mcg). May repeat dose based on clinical response. Pre-op: give 2hrs prior to procedure. Repeated administration before 48 hrs associated with tachyphylaxis.
Not for treating Type IIb VWD, or severe VWD with abnormal molecular form of Factor VIII antigen. Adjust fluid intake downward (esp in children and elderly) to reduce risk of water intoxication, hyponatremia. Monitor fluid intake, plasma osmolality. Fluid and electrolyte imbalances (eg, cystic fibrosis). Coronary artery disease. Hypertension. Predisposition to thrombosis. Unreliable absorption if altered nasal mucosa (eg, scarring, edema); discontinue until resolved. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Caution with other pressor agents (monitor).
Headache, nausea, abdominal cramps, vulval pain, facial flushing, local reactions, sore throat, water intoxication, hyponatremia; rare: BP changes, severe allergic reactions, thrombotic events.
Spray Pump—2.5mL (25 sprays)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Differences in Efficacy and Tolerability of ADHD Medications Across Age Groups
- Rapid Cycling Bipolar Disorder Associated With ADHD and Female Gender
- Associations Between Hypovitaminosis D and Poorer Outcomes in Schizophrenia
- Oxycontin's Maker Now Selling Drug to Curb Opioid Addiction
- Symptom Trajectories Vary According to Language Development in Autism
- Quetiapine Exposure Does Not Appear to Increase Risk for Infant Malformations
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors May Increase Risk for Suboptimal Fetal Growth
- Transdermal Nicotine Boosts Mood and Cognitive Function in Late-Life Depression
- Ketamine Infusions Reduce Suicidal Ideation in Depression: Characterizing Different Responses
- Prenatal Insecticide Exposure in Mother May Be Linked to Risk for Autism in Children