Generic Name and Formulations:
Nateglinide 60mg, 120mg; tabs.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for STARLIX:
Adjunct to diet and exercise in type 2 diabetes, alone (in patients who have not been chronically treated with other antidiabetic agents) or in combination with metformin or a thiazolidinedione.
Take 1–30 minutes before meals; skip dose if meal is skipped. 120mg 3 times daily. If near HbA1c goal, initially 60mg 3 times daily.
Type 1 diabetes. Ketoacidosis.
Moderate to severe hepatic disease. Secondary failure may occur in prolonged therapy. Elderly, adrenal or pituitary insufficiency, stress, strenuous exercise, autonomic neuropathy, severe renal impairment, malnourished: increased risk of hypoglycemia. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C), nursing mothers: not recommended.
May be potentiated by salicylates, non-cardioselective β-blockers, NSAIDs, alcohol, MAOIs. May be antagonized by thiazides, corticosteroids, sympathomimetics, thyroid products. Monitor with highly protein-bound drugs. Liquid meals reduce peak levels. β-blockers mask hypoglycemia.
Insulin secretagogue (amino acid deriv.).
Hypoglycemia, GI upset with metformin, peripheral edema with rosiglitazone.
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- ACOG Update: Marijuana Use Discouraged During Pregnancy, Breastfeeding
- Continuing Research, Emerging Treatments Hold Promise for Treating Anorexia Nervosa
- Asenapine Prevents Recurrence of Mood Events in Bipolar Disorder
- Depression Profiles in Patients With Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes
- Purpose, Questions of Social Interaction Lead Physicians to Delay Retirement
- CBT, Acceptance Commitment Therapy Helpful for Those With Chronic Pain
- Suicidal Behavior, Thoughts Associated With Perfectionist Tendencies
- Depression Reduced by Social Belonging, Feelings of Inclusion
- Sleep Disturbance May Be Causal Factor in Psychotic Experiences
- Is Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy Tied to Psychiatric Disorders in Offspring?
- Cardiovascular Risk Management May Slow Neurocognitive Decline in HIV
- Maintenance rTMS for Treatment-Resistant Depression
- New Study Compares Opioid Dependence Relapse Treatments
- Increase Use of Nursing Home for Patients With Cognitive Impairment Category
- Venlafaxine XR Safe, Effective in Treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder