Generic Name and Formulations:
Nateglinide 60mg, 120mg; tabs.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for STARLIX:
Adjunct to diet and exercise to improve glycemic control in adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus.
Limitations Of use:
Not for treatment of type 1 diabetes or diabetic ketoacidosis.
Take 1–30mins before meals; skip dose if meal is skipped. 120mg 3 times daily. If near glycemic goal, initially 60mg 3 times daily.
Increased risk of hypoglycemia with changes in physical activity, meal patterns, renal or hepatic impairment: monitor glucose more frequently and may need to adjust dose. Reduced symptomatic awareness of hypoglycemia in longstanding diabetes, diabetic nerve disease, or recurrent hypoglycemia. Moderate-to-severe hepatic impairment. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Increased hypoglycemia with concomitant other antidiabetic agents, NSAIDs, salicylates, MAOIs, non-selective β-blockers, anabolic hormones, guanethidine, and CYP2C9 inhibitors (eg, amiodarone, fluconazole, voriconazole, sulfinpyrazone), alcohol; may need dose reduction and monitor. May be antagonized by thiazides, corticosteroids, thyroid products, sympathomimetics, somatropin, somatostatin analogs (eg, lanreotide, octreotide), and CYP inducers (eg, rifampin, phenytoin, St John's Wort); may need dose increase and monitor. β-blockers, clonidine, guanethidine, reserpine may mask hypoglycemia.
Upper RTI, back pain, flu symptoms, dizziness, arthropathy, diarrhea; hypoglycemia, weight gain.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Psychiatry Advisor Articles
- Adjunctive Therapies for Bipolar Disorder Show Promise, Need More Evidence
- Improving Performance of Everyday Activities Is Critical in Schizophrenia
- Analysis Finds Lithium Maintenance Most Effective as Monotherapy in Bipolar Disorder
- Web-Based Intervention Targets Parental Behaviors That May Affect Adolescent Anxiety, Depression
- Abnormalities of Cortical Thickness in Bipolar Disorder With Auditory Hallucinations
- The Way to the Head May Be Through the Gut: Probiotics for Depression
- Suicide-Screening Toolkit Can Help Identify Youths at High Risk for Suicide
- Agoraphobia: An Evolving Understanding of Definitions and Treatment
- Parental Pressure to Diet Linked With Long-term Harm in Adolescents
- Does Access to Medical Cannabis Reduce Risk for Opioid Abuse?
- Antidepressants Increase Seizure Risk in Youth and Severely Depressed
- Examining Associations Between Diabetes and Effects on Cognition
- Untreated Depression Common in Women of Childbearing Age
- Incidence of Psychiatric Disorders in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Effect of Antidepressant Class, Dose on Pediatric Anxiety Disorders